ECN Forum
Posted By: Dave55 Wire Dispenser - 10/15/04 04:51 PM
I've been trying to come up with a very compact wire-spool dispenser (THHN) for awhile now. Maybe you can help me.

I don't like the typical hand racks or truck racks, because I don't have much space in the truck. Now I use plastic crates with a 1/2" EMT through the spool. I store the wire in the crate. I saw something that looked like the outside of the spool rode in a canvas U-shaped area. I liked that because the wire sometimes comes off my spool & wraps around the 1/2" EMT. I'm trying to set this up well because I work alone on pulls & am going back & forth 100' when it jambs up.

I found a PVC fitting that fit the spool, but it was about $30 & I didn't really want to spend $200 on this (6 spools + hardware). I'd also like to rig something up that would lube the wires before they go into the conduit.

Any ideas???

Dave
Posted By: chi spark Re: Wire Dispenser - 10/15/04 06:57 PM
Hi Dave - I saw one that is plastic, acts like a cradle type(no axle) that the spools just drop into. I'm in Chi. Suburbs- I've seen them at 2-3 supply houses- Nova Tools
Speed Pull. The company is in Midlothian, IL. The unit looks big enough for 4 spools of 12 or 3 spools of 10, and it's lightweight, but it's still about 30" long.
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Wire Dispenser - 10/15/04 07:22 PM
Thanks, chi spark. That looks exactly like what I need. I found it at http://www.novatoolonline.com/

Now about that wire lube?

Dave
Posted By: hbiss Re: Wire Dispenser - 10/16/04 12:30 AM
Only problem I can see with that is if the side of those plastic spools gets broken as sometimes happens. I wouldn't want to rely on the integrity of the spool flanges. Doesn't Greenlee make a reel carrier about the same size and configuration also with a handle but has a rod through the center? Got to be better than that plastic thing.

-Hal
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Wire Dispenser - 10/16/04 03:07 AM
No, Greenlee doesn't make anything like this.

Dave
Posted By: CRM Re: Wire Dispenser - 10/16/04 03:11 AM
Check these out.http://www.rack-a-tiers.com/
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Wire Dispenser - 10/16/04 04:10 AM
Thanks CRM, some of those items looked very interesting.

Dave
Posted By: DougW Re: Wire Dispenser - 10/16/04 04:26 AM
Those look like a neat concept. Any idea how much$ ?
Posted By: capt al Re: Wire Dispenser - 10/16/04 08:11 PM
I keep a pair of rack-a-tiers in the van. They work very well. I believe they cost under $50.00 now. Paid more for them when they first came out. Most supply houses here keep them in stock. My set is three years old and have held up great. 1000' reels of MC or NM no problem.
© ECN Electrical Forums