ECN Forum
Posted By: Dave55 Bulb lube - 10/08/04 01:10 AM
Am I the only one that has trouble screwing in a light bulb sometimes. Go ahead & joke about it, but with some fixtures the bulb seems to scrape its way in. Sometimes I lick the threads to lube it, but there are probably some manufacturing chemicals on it, so..do you use anything to lube the bulbs?

The worst lately seems to be Halo H7ICT cans. The socket hinges on the side & with the slight pressure of screwing in the bulb it cross-threads. Then it's really hard to get out. Seems like I used a Juno that I was happier with.

Any suggestions?

Dave
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Bulb lube - 10/08/04 02:46 AM
Can't say I've ever had that exact problem.

I see auto part stores selling "bulb lube." In the old days, where there was a harsh environment, we coated threads, etc., with anti-seize compound. I see that Noalox, etc., are now listed for such use; they're similar to anti-seize, only thicker.
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: Bulb lube - 10/08/04 03:13 AM
I know what you are talking about Dave. Never thought about lube though.

Kind of on topic (don't mean to threadjack) has anyone heard of something called liquid copper? I thought it was made by Ideal, Burndy, or T&B. My suppliers give me a slack-jawed blank stare when I bring it up to them. Like NOALOX, but meant to lube & improve the joint.
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Bulb lube - 10/08/04 03:21 AM
"Liquid copper" sounds like a description of C5-A, an industrial anti-seize compound that has powdered copper in it.
Posted By: arseegee Re: Bulb lube - 10/08/04 03:28 AM
How about globe lube. As you resi guys know, they have just about stopped using set screws for bath fixture globes and gone to a threaded ceramic lampholder with a metal nut that threads on to hold the globe up.

Man what a stupid design, if you get one cross threaded it can take 10 minutes to get it undone. And i cant even fit my hand in some of the smaller globes.
Posted By: e57 Re: Bulb lube - 10/08/04 04:14 AM
I have a bottle of "bulb lube" made by Andrews Electric Inc., and I was going to post a link, but it seems www.bulblube.com is no longer with us. So I took a picture of the bottle I have... www.markhellerelectric.com/bulblube.jpg

Dave.... Try some Noalox, liqid copper, or simular lubricant, like any duty Corrossion-X, stop licking the bulbs. (people may start to talk... )

Liquid Copper (copper) and Noalox (zinc) are simular both have powdered metal in them. One you should obviouly not use with Aluminum.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 10-08-2004).]
Posted By: twh Re: Bulb lube - 10/08/04 04:27 AM
Sometimes I lick the threads
I always wondered how people discovered things like getting high by licking a frog. What does a bulb taste like? Do you get a buzz?

I use de-ox (no, not for licking) for lubing aluminum teck connector threads. I'm not sure I like the idea of putting something conductive into a light socket. I assume de-ox is conductive.
Posted By: C-H Re: Bulb lube - 10/08/04 06:47 AM
I'm not sure I like the idea of putting something conductive into a light socket.

You mean like a light bulb? [Linked Image]
Posted By: KBSHORTS Re: Bulb lube - 10/08/04 10:25 AM
Dave,
Check out www.copperwolf.com. They have a product called "Bulbez" We use it on all HID lamp installations now and it works great. NOALOX did not work well,when the lamps heated up it hardened and fused the lamp base to the socket.
KB
KB

[This message has been edited by KBSHORTS (edited 10-08-2004).]
Posted By: winnie Re: Bulb lube - 10/08/04 01:14 PM
Jps1006:

Are you talking about Thomas+Betts Kopr-Shield? Part number CP8-TB... http://www.tnb-canada.com/en/catalogues/online/industrial_MRO/pdf/c3/mro_ckeyed1p_eng.pdf

I've never been able to figure out precisely where it may be used. Automotive folks clearly use it on things like bulbs and quick connects...but to quote the packaging:

Every Threaded joint, every mating surface, every solderless connection is improved and protected by KOPR-SHIELD(R)* compound. It literally "copperplates" mating surfaces to improve conductivity or ground continuity.....

but elsewhere on the package is says:

NOTE: UL Listed only on electrical cables in cable/connector assemblies or on bus bars rated for NEC applications up to 8kV and 90C
UL LISTED 913F Conductor Termination Compound

Don't know if this stuff would be legit lubricating a bulb screw base.

-Jon
Posted By: WireWrestler Re: Bulb lube - 10/08/04 03:12 PM
We use bulb lube on every bulb we install. It works great. The only place I have seen it is at the check out lines at Menards. It is a little orange container that simialar in size to Carmex lip balm. It costs about 3 or 4 dollars, but it is well worth it.
Posted By: Sir Arcsalot Re: Bulb lube - 10/08/04 03:21 PM
Bring back brass-base bulbs! (Say that five times real fast!!!)

Hmmm... "Bulb Lube" sounds interesting- I don't know how many times in my old vehicles that I've had to use pliers to get out the broken 1157's due to seizure in the socket.

As for the KOPR-SHIELD(R), there are certain applications where it is truly indispensible, though I would steer clear of using it as an anti-seize for bulbs. I see that they also sell it in one-gallon cans- WOW! That's more than one or two terminal and conduit-thread coatings...!
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Bulb lube - 10/08/04 04:39 PM
KOPR-SHIELD(R) is a suitable product for compliance with 300.6(A)
Don
Posted By: twh Re: Bulb lube - 10/08/04 11:23 PM
C-H
You mean like a light bulb?
Thanks, after a long week I needed that.

Actually I meant ... aw crap you know what I meant. De-ox runs when it gets hot. What about the other stuff?
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Bulb lube - 10/10/04 04:38 PM
Thanks, I got the stuff at Menards, which I'll try. The ingredients are mineral oil, polybutene, trimethylolpropane, trisostearate, isopropyl myristate, hydroxy stearate acid. Any chemists in the group?

Dave
Posted By: big guy Re: Bulb lube - 10/10/04 06:22 PM
use vaseline it work's good
I use it alot for outside lighting
I got this tip from back in the day when you would use srew in type bulb's for fish tank's
Posted By: twh Re: Bulb lube - 10/11/04 12:50 AM
I did a google search on Dave55's stuff. It looks like a treatme nt for pruritus
Where are you putting these bulbs?
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Bulb lube - 10/12/04 01:03 AM
HEY, KEEP IT CLEAN! I put bulbs in sockets just like every other electrician.

Dave
Posted By: Trainwire Re: Bulb lube - 10/12/04 11:56 AM
Vaseline is good stuff.

We use it here to lube the sliding contacts of the reversing contactor. 1200Amp at 72v dc.

TW
© ECN Electrical Forums