ECN Forum
Posted By: Kelley Electric floor heat - 10/05/04 10:05 PM
Hi guys , customer would like me to spec out some electric floor heat for an upcoming remodeling of there kitchen. Any manufacturers that you have had good luck with? The last time I installed any we used easy heat but there was nithing easy about it.. it was the single wire system that you roll out. I think and have heard that a mat sytem that is custom to your project is th way to go. Any ideas would be a big help

Thanks
Kelley
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Electric floor heat - 10/05/04 10:37 PM
I know a guy that has put in a few floor heating systems, but they are hot water rather than electric. I'd get more information for you, except then you might loose the job!

Dave
Posted By: e57 Re: Electric floor heat - 10/05/04 10:50 PM
Welcome to the forum, stick around and get to know all the characters.......... [Linked Image]

Anyway, I usually avoid spec'ing these items, as most are not very good. I have yet to come across one that "heats", rather than "warming the floor" for the bare foot crowd. Even then most don't do a great job at that either. It seems, and rightfully so, that the manufactures of these things are afraid of crossing the "warm floor" to "heating the room via the floor" as the wattage would be too high to have under most floor types. Imagine what it would take to heat a room through a hardwood floor, then imagine that floor bursting into flames! Or, a short in a mildly conductive floor, like some types of tile, stone or concrete.

Anyway, my advise for spec'ing one, is not to.

How-ever, our plumbing friends have mastered this floor "heat" deal, the plumber will need some electrical for the system, so it's not a total loss to pass it to them. kickback?
Posted By: hbiss Re: Electric floor heat - 10/05/04 10:51 PM
... hot water rather than electric. I'd get more information for you, except then you might loose the job!

While being low in cost to install, using electric for any kind of heat in most locations is the most expensive way to go. Once the customer is aware of what they will be paying year after year hydronic will look like a good deal.

-Hal
Posted By: Kelley Re: Electric floor heat - 10/05/04 11:38 PM
thanks for the replies, warming the floor was the word i should have used and he is aware of the cost to "heat" with electric, he has a forced hot air system so h20 is out. you are right i shouldnt spec for him but he is my brother in law on thr missus side so i have to help were i can if you now what i mean [Linked Image]
Posted By: Sandro Re: Electric floor heat - 10/06/04 02:09 AM
Try www.nuheat.com, they specialize in mats.

I prefer the easy heat myself. Works better with oddshaped rooms and with the individual wire, you can shape it to cover every nook and cranny. Easyheat sells the mats too. www.easyheat.com
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Electric floor heat - 10/06/04 09:23 PM
Don't let these guys scare you. Nuheat is the way to go. It is easy to install, the customer service is excellent, and you can make some money selling it to the customer. I used it in my own house and try to sell it whenever I can.
Posted By: Jeff N Re: Electric floor heat - 10/06/04 11:27 PM
I used flex therm in my bath redo. went in easily, works well, and didn't seem to make much of a difference in my elec. bill. The tile installer said it was very easy to deal with also. Since I used mine I believe they have come out with a version without a return, you just have to run it out not back up to the Therm. Good luck.
Posted By: tomselectrc Re: Electric floor heat - 10/07/04 12:26 AM
hey kelly new heat is the way to go they will custom make matts for whatever you need. If you need more info e-mail me at bone430@yahoo.com I deal with a rep
Posted By: Pat@Amber Re: Electric floor heat - 10/10/04 12:39 PM
Just make sure you are there when the floor guys are there to install the flooring. I've had two jobs where my mats were installed and tested before the tile was put down and then after the tiles and mortar were set the mats had shorts in them. That turns into an expensive nightmare for everybody!!!!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Electric floor heat - 10/11/04 12:40 AM
Very true Pat,
We use two types of underfloor heating systems over here, the first being the type a flexible element that is tied to the rebar before the concrete is poured for the floor slab.
The other sort, is glued to the concrete before tiles are laid.
We also have a similar sort of thing that fits under carpet, before it is laid, but I wouldn't personally touch that with a 10 foot barge pole, the thought of having a hot element under flammable carpet material, doesn't impress me at all.
But back to the topic, I'd personally test the element before and after the installation of tiles or whatever is being laid over the top takes place.
BTW, Kelley, welcome to ECN!.
Posted By: Pat@Amber Re: Electric floor heat - 10/12/04 02:32 AM
Heating elements and carpet----Does the system come with a fire extinguisher?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kelley Re: Electric floor heat - 10/13/04 07:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies. very usefull information here and thruout the site

Kelley
Posted By: Wirenuttt Re: Electric floor heat - 10/14/04 01:35 AM
WARMUP is another brand. It's a 2mm thick cable. very small. it comes in several different size kits wich include the primer you paint on the sub floor w/a roller, tape and a stat. We had an example tile at the counter and it was very warm. If your interested in some specs email me @
westford@e-ces.net
attn: Andy
Posted By: wewire2 Re: Electric floor heat - 10/14/04 05:40 AM
I used nuheat in my my master bath. I am very happy with it. Just imagine walking into your bathroom on a cold morning and the floor is like a sun warmed pool deck.
© ECN Electrical Forums