ECN Forum
Posted By: Edward is this a fair statement? - 10/01/04 03:59 AM
A built in microwave if draws more than 50% of the circuit breakers rating then that circuit should not have other loads on it.

If this statment is true would you please find a code reference that would back-up my statement.

I know this rule applies to window A/C units but can not find a NEC section that applies to kitchen appliances such as a built-in microwave.

Thanks a bunch
Edward
Posted By: sparky806 Re: is this a fair statement? - 10/01/04 02:23 PM
210.3(2)
Posted By: Edward Re: is this a fair statement? - 10/01/04 03:02 PM
Thank you for the reply.

Edward
Posted By: cpal Re: is this a fair statement? - 10/01/04 07:47 PM
Is the micro a built in if not it is not fastened in place. I think 210.23 (A) (1) may be applicable

(1) Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment. The rating of any one cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment shall not exceed 80 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating.
Manufactures generally do not install 15 A cord connectors for utilization equipment which operates in excess of 12 A., 16 A for a 20A cord connector etc.(80%)

(2) Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place, addresses specifically that equipment which is fastened in place, such as built in units. It's intent as I read it is to limit that equipments load to not more than 50% of the branch circuit capacity if other cord connected equipment may use the same branch circuit. Most BI Micros will require a individual Branch circuit and the receptacle that is installed in such cases should be a single contact device.

Hope that helps

Charlie

[This message has been edited by cpal (edited 10-01-2004).]
© ECN Electrical Forums