ECN Forum
Posted By: kinetic signage on truck - 09/24/04 03:05 AM
I am looking to finally finish the signage on my work truck. I would like to create a luandry list of my services in the most generic terms. I don't have the room to add everything and am looking for a very condensed version. Here is what I have so far. Appreciate any feedback. Hoping to shrink the install section to a few lines and maybe add onto or clarify what I have at the moment.

New Construction
• Custom Homes
• Guest House
• Detached Buildings
• Lighting Control Systems
• Backup Generators

Service Electric
• Install Light Fixture And/Or Ceiling Fans
• Install Smoke Detector And/Or CO2 Detector
• Install New 120/240 Volt Circuit
• Install New Switch And/Or Dimmer
• Install Lighting Control Systems
• Troubleshoot Existing Electric
• Panel Replacements And Upgrades
• Install Sub Panel

Remodel Electric
• Rewire Complete House
• Small Or Large Remodel
• Small Or Large Additions
Posted By: Dave55 Re: signage on truck - 09/24/04 03:23 AM
In my opinion, less is more. It looks like you're doing residential electrical work. By having an extensive list people might assume you don't do anything that's not listed.

By the way, when I want advice about this kind of thing I talk with someone who understands marketing.

Dave
Posted By: BigB Re: signage on truck - 09/24/04 04:09 AM
I agree, less is more. Most of the time your signs will be read in traffic. My signage:

****** Electric
555-5555--(make this REAL BIG)
licensed bonded insured

Let them call and ask the questions.
Posted By: electricman786 Re: signage on truck - 09/24/04 04:41 AM
100% agree with Big B.
Posted By: wewire2 Re: signage on truck - 09/24/04 07:55 AM
100% agree with electricman786
Posted By: e57 Re: signage on truck - 09/24/04 08:18 AM
I agree too.... (bigger the better, in clear sharp bill board size letters)

Anybody Electric
Lic# C-10 123456
(xxx) 123-4567
Residential - Commercial

Nice and simple. Once saw this guys van, it was SO covered with (poorly hand-painted) lettering of everything he did, it was hard to see the number to call.
Posted By: DougW Re: signage on truck - 09/24/04 04:04 PM
Agree with BigB and e57. Remember, most of the poeple who see your truck have about 2-3 seconds to get your info. You're promoting for the "on the move" moment, not the "sitting at the jobsite" mindset.

COMPANY NAME
Type of work
PHONE NUMBER
Additional info

ABC ELECTRIC
Residential-Commercial
(123) 456-7890
Licensed/Bonded/Insured (or Lic. # if Req'd)

KISS is definitely in effect for this.
Posted By: NJ Wireman Re: signage on truck - 09/24/04 05:03 PM
I agree less is best a nice sized company logo is always a eye catcher then name number(large) lic# ins etc. thats it!

the average h/o has no clue what some of the things on your list are. All they know is they need this thing fixed or this thing put in for the most part. Keep it simple.
Posted By: srscott Re: signage on truck - 09/24/04 05:57 PM
Agree with everybody so far, in fact this year just went to lettered vans. One more advantage to less is best...the cost is lower! Don't think your van or lettering will be around forever.

Good luck, Scott
Posted By: kinetic Re: signage on truck - 09/24/04 07:54 PM
Thank you for the input. I would like to keep it simple as possible but have room on my truck for a list of some sort. Logo is roughly 10 ft X 6 ft with 8" lettering for the phone number. They have to finish the second side of the truck becuase they ran out of vinyl doing the first one [Linked Image] Wanted to add the most generic and broad list as possible at the same time.
Posted By: aland Re: signage on truck - 09/24/04 09:26 PM
Look at what gives you the greatest profit go for quality not quantity! Agree with al other's don't waste your time and money making your truck look like a fair ground attraction, you need somthing that will create a lasting memory. Folks dont remember pages full of script from the sides of trucks.
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: signage on truck - 09/24/04 09:41 PM
I'd narrow it down to this:

Custom Homes
Backup Generators
Troubleshoot, repair, upgrade, (retrofit?)
Remodel & additions

If you really want to do more than what people are suggesting, maybe put your essential info bigger, and centralized for the driveby, and list the other stuff off in the corner for people to read at a stop light. If I'm at light with a truck in front of me, I'll read as long as I'm sitting still out of boredom. Although retention in another thing.

editted to add:
After reading your last post, I can see that is what you are doing, the important info front & center.

[This message has been edited by Jps1006 (edited 09-24-2004).]
Posted By: iwire Re: signage on truck - 09/24/04 10:00 PM
I am also of the less is more school on this.

Here is someone that went overboard in my opinion. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The white box behind the door is where I removed the phone number.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 09-24-2004).]
Posted By: maintenanceguy Re: signage on truck - 09/24/04 10:15 PM
1. Company Name
2. Phone Number
3. Something Eyecatching and memorable.

3 could be "First half hour is Free" or "Mention that you saw our truck and get a free ceiling fan" or whatever will make people stop daydreaming, dazing off at that traffic light and actually read your van.

And no list of services. If you leave something off I'll assume you don't do it.
Posted By: Sandro Re: signage on truck - 09/24/04 10:30 PM
Not sure how to post pics on here, but here is a pic of our older trucks...
http://santinoelectric.homestead.com/santinovan.html

The newer trucks have a much more striking livery. We have had numerous compliments on them. I will take pics and post them here in the future. We also changed from burgundy trucks to appliance white.

[This message has been edited by Sandro (edited 09-24-2004).]
Posted By: DougW Re: signage on truck - 09/25/04 12:18 AM
Originally post by jps1006:

If you really want to do more than what people are suggesting, maybe put your essential info bigger, and centralized for the driveby, and list the other stuff off in the corner for people to read at a stop light. If I'm at light with a truck in front of me, I'll read as long as I'm sitting still out of boredom. Although retention in another thing.

Maybe put your list on your tailgate / back door of your truck?

(mini logo & phone # top and bottom)
Posted By: cs409 Re: signage on truck - 09/25/04 01:01 AM
love the electrical/plumbing photo.....

reminds me of a local company about 10yrs back that did,,,,,plumbing,electrical and AC/Heating,,,in that order.....
Posted By: e57 Re: signage on truck - 09/25/04 06:30 AM
On the subject of eye catching items.... I've seen them, but have NO IDEA of where to get one....

Rocket nose cone, and fins for 6" PVC conduit carrier!

Anyone know? E-mail me a link.... e57@comcast.net
Posted By: classicsat Re: signage on truck - 09/27/04 02:28 AM
Check out your local hobby store.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: signage on truck - 09/27/04 04:05 AM
Totally removed from this topic, but there was a trend here a few years back.
You know how an ambulance has the word spelt backwards on the front of the cab,
"ECNALUBMA", Tradesmen started using this as advertising.
So you ended up with "NAICIRTCELE" plastered all over the fronts of cabs.
Glad that that idea died a death!. [Linked Image]
Also, having a van or other such vehicle is one thing, and having pretty writing on the outside of it.
At the end of the day, if the guy driving the mobile bill-board can't cut the mustard, what's the point?.
What I mean to say, is what's inside the vehicle that matters. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 09-27-2004).]
© ECN Electrical Forums