ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy Hockey Help! - 09/07/01 02:36 AM
A customer wants "Hockey Puck" lights in a corner kitchen cabinet(glass door). Sorry, I never installed them. Anyone have any details before I go to mega-supply and view the wares? Low, line voltage? Cut hole? Mount inside?
Thanks!
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Hockey Help! - 09/07/01 03:01 AM
Redsy,

They're typically low voltage Halogen. They can be purchased individually or in 'kits' with LV Trans, wire and splice fittings. I always try to put a receptacle above the cabinet (if no soffit) and install a switch for it.

Bill
Posted By: Dallas Re: Hockey Help! - 09/07/01 03:43 AM
If they can be hidden by a front lip on the shelf, or the customer doesn't mind seeing them, we use good quality double faced tape to stick them to the bottom of the shelf, or the bottom of the cabinet itself. Hiding the xfmr and making the line connections in a box have always been my headache.

The "pucks" we use (WAC brand) have about 30" leads on them, so we use them as branch wiring, and use those tiny tap connectors to tie them together
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Hockey Help! - 09/07/01 04:20 AM
What do you do when there is a soffit?

I have this very problem coming up but Redsy beat me to the thread!

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-07-2001).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Hockey Help! - 09/07/01 10:36 AM
an option many cabinet makers have is a 'light bar' that extends the bottom of the cab down to hide the pucks & wires.
usually i wire these under, or internal to the cabinet back to a switched X-former. I hate to bury any splice...and yes, the X-former placement is a bear
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Hockey Help! - 09/07/01 12:17 PM
Virgil,

If there's no soffit perhaps you could locate the outlet/transformer remotely somewhere. Or, how about in an adjacent Cabinet that has no glass? Would that be kosher?

Bill
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Hockey Help! - 09/10/01 11:45 PM
Turns out there's no soffit after all...

I've already roughed-in using the same method as Bill's... Glad I ain't gotta change it!

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-10-2001).]
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Hockey Help! - 09/13/01 02:20 AM
Just remember that the lights get hot! Consider this when looking at the trim, etc.
© ECN Electrical Forums