ECN Forum
Posted By: SolarPowered Smart Box Mirrored? - 08/31/04 02:17 AM
I'm trying to figure out if I'm going senile... Didn't the Smart Box ads on this site have the screws pointing to the left until the last day or two?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Smart Box Mirrored? - 08/31/04 02:43 AM
[Linked Image]

I changed the picture, but it was probably 2 weeks ago.

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Smart Box Mirrored? - 08/31/04 02:53 AM
I've got a question about these boxes. What's the purpose? We've been taking standard boxes and screwing them to the stud with sheetrock screws as long as I've been in the trade. Why would you need this box?
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Smart Box Mirrored? - 08/31/04 03:05 AM
I E-mailed the manufacturer and asked how compliance with 314.23(B)(1) could be achieved. They haven't responded.

BTW: I don't have my book here, so sorry if the reference is off a little. I'm thinking of the section that says "nails and screws".
Posted By: e57 Re: Smart Box Mirrored? - 08/31/04 03:16 AM
Now isn't the screw an ungrounded conductive material to outside the box??????

A violation? 314.43?

Provisions for supports or other mounting means for nonmetallic boxes shall be outside of the box, or the box shall be constructed so as to prevent contact between the conductors in the box and the supporting screws.

Been wondering....

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 08-30-2004).]
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Smart Box Mirrored? - 08/31/04 04:48 AM
I changed the picture, but it was probably 2 weeks ago.
Thanks! Glad to know I haven't completely lost it, yet. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Smart Box Mirrored? - 08/31/04 05:12 AM
I E-mailed the manufacturer and asked how compliance with 314.23(B)(1) could be achieved
Ryan,

I'm guessing this is an instance where Code language hasn't caught up with all the new products.
Provisions for supports or other mounting means for nonmetallic boxes shall be outside of the box, or the box shall be constructed so as to prevent contact between the conductors in the box and the supporting screws.
e57,

The screws are countersunk even below flush, so I don't see then contacting or causing damage to any conductors.

Bill
Posted By: e57 Re: Smart Box Mirrored? - 08/31/04 06:45 AM
So whats the deal in changing it... Lefty, or just trying to see if SolarPowered would notice?

Bill from the pic I caould tell if they were countersunk or not, but been wondering about that for a while/

Anyway, I have been a fan of this box... Don't use nail ons anymore, do whole houses in them... I have using them for a simular purpose as the Smart box there. (Haven't seen them anywhere yet... Except this site.)

www.carlon.com/Brochures/2B1-Adjustable.pdf

As a cut-in. Take the box off. A quick modification with snips or a band saw, to cut off the front part of its mounting bracket, and a few holes too. Then put the bracket in the wall, and box back on the bracket. I think they should make them that way, with break off tabs. etc.
Posted By: trekkie76 Re: Smart Box Mirrored? - 09/01/04 10:58 PM
We use those adjustable boxes too. LOVE em! never tried to use them as a cut-in, though. cuold work I guess. How do you screww to 2 screws in the front of the bracket ?

[This message has been edited by trekkie76 (edited 09-01-2004).]
Posted By: e57 Re: Smart Box Mirrored? - 09/01/04 11:43 PM
trekkie76,

Find your stud, and cut the hole so the side lines up. Then remove the box from the bracket. Then cut off most of the front of the bracket with snips or a saw, (band saw worrks best)leave a 1/4" of the front part. Then drill 2 holes at the corner of the bracket where it fold from the front to the side. (Easiest to do this from the back.) Then line it up in the hole, and smack that 1/4" of whats left of the front part between the rock or plaster and the stud. Put your 2 screws in the holes you made. (the ones in the side if you can reach at the angle too. ) Put the wire in the box, and box back on the bracket. Trim...

It seems like a lot to do, but once you've done it once, it's easy!

Someones gonna say, "Why don't you just use a cut in box." On some of the plaster and lath walls here there's almost a 1/2" between the lath. Or weak sheetrock. First time you plug something in, the box gets pushed though the brittle plaster or rock, or worse the box comes right out of the wall! So check the the first hole, and if the plasters is bad and crumbly, I cut the rest at the stud, and do the above. So I have a nice solid box!

Also, like mentioned above it's a code violation to put screws into a NM box not made to have them. 314.43 Or, 314.23B1 as Ryan mentioned.

These Smart Box things would probhably work well for the same, but like I said, I haven't seen them anywhere yet.

Does anyone know if they are plastic, or bakelite? If the later, I won't touch 'em. Oh, how I hate bakelite...........
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Smart Box Mirrored? - 09/02/04 12:35 AM
Does anyone know if they are plastic, or bakelite?
e57,

I've got one on my desk in front of me. They're plastic, but seem a bit firmer than some other boxes. I know what you mean about those bakelite boxes....

Bill
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Smart Box Mirrored? - 09/02/04 01:44 AM
Also, like mentioned above it's a code violation to put screws into a NM box not made to have them. 314.43 Or, 314.23B1 as Ryan mentioned.

Oops! I guess I should've known this, but I didn't. I learn something everyday, today it was this.
Posted By: trekkie76 Re: Smart Box Mirrored? - 09/02/04 09:26 PM
e57, do you have to cut to two side ears off, or can you weasel them in the hole? sounds like a good idea on some of the more questionable walls I have come across.
Posted By: e57 Re: Smart Box Mirrored? - 09/02/04 10:11 PM
You don't have to cut the back ones off. You can get screws into them, although tricky on a one gang, 2 gang really easy.
© ECN Electrical Forums