ECN Forum
Posted By: Kennyvp Handicaped bathrooms - 08/25/04 08:53 PM
In new jersey, in a day care center what would be the required height for a switch box to operate the lights and exaust fan for a handicaped bathroom? And if possible please provide code number? Is this a nec issue or a building code issue?
Posted By: earlydean Re: Handicaped bathrooms - 08/25/04 09:43 PM
I don't know about the codes in NJ, but the accessibility portion of the building code requires that any switch required to be accessible to persons with disabilities be no higher than 48 inches to the switch handle.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Handicaped bathrooms - 08/25/04 10:13 PM
In my opinion, they are not required to be accessible. There is an exception in the IBC that allows child facilities to not be accessible, because they probably don't have the strength to use an accessible facility without the help of an able bodied person. I would DEFINATLEY consult with the building department before proceeding, however.
Posted By: Roger Re: Handicaped bathrooms - 08/25/04 10:29 PM
I think motion detectors with a 10 minute delay off function for the fan is the best idea. [Linked Image]

But for another conversation on this, go here https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003261.html

Roger
Posted By: Kennyvp Re: Handicaped bathrooms - 08/25/04 11:55 PM
This would not be an option, as per spec. my only true question here is if there is infact a code requirement for the height of the switch? I would agree with your thoughts though if it were my place but this job MUST come to a end soon, its a bottom less hole if you know what i mean.
Posted By: electure Re: Handicaped bathrooms - 08/26/04 12:07 AM
I've requested and obtained Code variances for quite a few day care centers in the past.

The building depts have generally been quite receptive to things like recps 54" above the floor when the possibilities of inquisitive little fingers were mentioned [Linked Image]
The main thing is to ask them first...S
© ECN Electrical Forums