ECN Forum
Posted By: KBSHORTS Aluninum conductors - 08/18/04 05:13 PM
A GC that we work with frequently just called for info on aluminum wiring, it seems a client of his just purchased a large residential complex built in 1969. An inspector just noted on his report that all branch circuit wiring was AL. My experience with AL branch wiring is limited. My first thought was that the inspector was mistaken and what he was looking at was tinned copper. If it turns out he was right, anyone have experience with any of the methods to mediate this stuff?
KB
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Aluninum conductors - 08/18/04 05:54 PM
In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with aluminum wiring if people will leave it alone. Its when people start screwing with it that it causes problems, such as installing devices that are not CU/ALR rated.
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Aluninum conductors - 08/18/04 08:04 PM
If if was built in 1969, I doubt that you'll even be able to get into mediation. I don't think they were putting mediation/arbitration clauses into contracts at that point, plus I'm sure that you're WAY past any warranty period. So I don't think that there are really any methods that would work in a mediation, because you'll never even get into mediation in the first place.

I doubt that suing would work, either, because aluminum wire met Code in 1969.
Posted By: earlydean Re: Aluninum conductors - 08/18/04 08:19 PM
Aluminum wiring still can meet code. Just use devices approved for aluminum conductors.
There are wirenuts, now, that can directly splice aluminum to copper for pigtailing or extensions. Even Home Depot stocks them.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Aluninum conductors - 08/18/04 10:36 PM
Ryan,
CO/ALR devices did not exist in 1969. They were introduced in 1973 or 74 along with a new alloy for the aluminum conductor. The installations made after this time have very few problems unless the connections have gotten wet. There have been major problems with the old style aluminum installations.
Don
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Aluninum conductors - 08/19/04 12:21 AM
Thanks again for your insight Don, it is always appreciated. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums