ECN Forum
Posted By: Megawatt Automatic Generator - 08/10/04 01:25 AM
I am bidding on a Job, that involves the installation of a 7 KW, Natural Gas fueled generator.
This is the type sold at the Big Blue Box.
It seems like a fairly easy install, but I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with these, & how you went about pricing the job ?
I will be responsible for getting a Lic Plumber to hook up the Gas, and will test it, etc.
Thanks in advance !!!
Posted By: Big Jim Re: Automatic Generator - 08/10/04 04:53 AM
Check out the requirements for transferring the load from line to genset carefully. Those components are all special and usually pricey. You don't want to miss something there and have to eat it.
Posted By: e57 Re: Automatic Generator - 08/10/04 04:59 AM
Check the gas pressure spec's, it may require additional regulator at the main line. (Require more pressure for the engine)

Where the city will allow you to put it...

Not cool on small lot neighborhoods, bugs the neighbors... It runs once a week for twenty minutes.

Maintenace, oil changes and the like.

Then the electric stuff. Then bid it.
Posted By: trekkie76 Re: Automatic Generator - 08/10/04 09:04 PM
If it is a Generac/Guardian system, the typical pre- packaged system takes about 3-4 hrs to do. Make sure to put the generator 3 ft. from any combustible materials( like the house). also, should try to get as close as possible to the main panel. the genarator requires 11-14" water column pressure, NG or LPG. this usually requires a seperate regulator. If you postion the unit right, there is little in extra material to get. An annual maintenence agreement is a great way to make additional revenue from generator sales. Look at around 1-2 hrs(depending on liquid or air cooled) for annual maintainence.
Posted By: Megawatt Re: Automatic Generator - 08/11/04 06:48 AM
Thanks for the Info, I hadn't thought about yearly Maintenance !!!
© ECN Electrical Forums