ECN Forum
Posted By: smokumchevy vacuums ?? - 08/06/04 10:20 AM
What brand/size vacuums are you guys using for the daily cut-ins and ceiling tile garbage that drops down into finished area's??

Looking for something small that will work on carpet yet won't clog within seconds with drywall dust.

I just find a shop vac is too damn large and cumbersome to haul onsite for small jobs.

thks for the responses,
Greg
Posted By: maintenanceguy Re: vacuums ?? - 08/06/04 11:40 AM
we have a 1-1/2 gallon shop vac. Easy to carry, doesn't take up much room and does as good a job as the big ones.

We also have cordless "dust buster" type from dirt devil. Maybe they're okay for sweeping the stairs at home but way too week for real clean-ups. An experiment gone bad.
Posted By: hbiss Re: vacuums ?? - 08/07/04 02:47 AM
Anybody used the De Walt vacuum? Uses the 12 or 18 volt tool battery packs ot 120 volts. Check it out here http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=6220

-Hal
Posted By: BigB Re: vacuums ?? - 08/07/04 04:17 AM
Rigid makes a "Professional" model, it's 4HP with a cartride filter and a 2" hose. Compact size, fits in my truck easily out of the way. Works great.
Posted By: iwire Re: vacuums ?? - 08/07/04 11:01 AM
I have the DeWalt vacuum that Hal linked to.

I like it a lot, it is corded or will run on Dewalt batteries.

It is a wet / dry vac, for it's small size it has a large washable cartridge filter it will vacuum a fair amount of sheet rock dust before clogging.

It is not loud, it does lack the power of a big shop vac but it does alright.

I wish it would charge batteries when plugged in. It does not come with batteries or charger, you have to steel them from your other tools.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 08-07-2004).]
Posted By: Obsaleet Re: vacuums ?? - 08/08/04 07:43 PM
I love my dewalt cordless/120v shop vac. I lost my dustpan/ and broom. Didn't realize it for a month. Use the shop vac most of the time [Linked Image]

Phil
Posted By: Dave55 Re: vacuums ?? - 08/09/04 02:01 AM
The August issue of Tool Crib has a variety of vacuums as well as many other tools. Visit them at www.amazon.com/toolcrib or call 800-635-5140. I ordered a drill sharpener from them and wouldn't hesitate to order again.

Dave
Posted By: smokumchevy Re: vacuums ?? - 08/09/04 10:17 AM
hmmmm, that dewalt 2 gal looks like the ticket..... what did you pay for it?

the small shopvac brand I find to be a pain, top keeps popping off, blows dust and clogs really quick, no to mention its a pita to lug around on a one man show.

thks for the replies,
Greg
Posted By: John Steinke Re: vacuums ?? - 08/15/04 06:05 AM
Whatever you get, make sure that it is either specifically designed for sheetrock dust (as the DeWalt is), or can have a HEPA filter added to it. Shetrock dust will kill a vac in a heartbeat!
© ECN Electrical Forums