ECN Forum
Posted By: Attic Rat Heat Detectors - 07/10/04 12:55 PM
...I am required to install a heat detector in the attic,because there is a gas-fed furnace/air handler up there,..and there are no gable fans,just vents...My supply house carries BRK,and sells a rate of rise detector thats compatible with the a/c-battery back-up smokes,but for only up to 135 degrees F...An attic could easily attain this temperature on a sweltering summer day.Then it'll set the whole system off with false alarms,...if I "kit-bash" and use another brand of heat detector that has a higher temperature,I void the UL listing on the device.What should I do???
Russ
Posted By: Ron Re: Heat Detectors - 07/10/04 01:11 PM
Why is a heat detector required?
If detection is required, then a smoke is generally in order. A heat detector is not considered a life safety device.
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Heat Detectors - 07/11/04 01:35 PM
... Beats me,Ron, all I know is that the Fire Official from the town wants a "Red-Eye" up there,which is a rate of rise heat detector..in line with the other line voltage smokes throughout the house.He wants combo carbon monoxide/smokes in all common areas on each level of the house as well.I asked him whether he prefers ionization as opposed to photo-electric,and he said photo-electric type.I have a smoke in the basement,a combo in the 1st floor common area outside(within 10')of the bedrooms,and a smoke in each bedroom,of which there are 2.On the 2nd floor,I have a smoke at the top of the stairway landing,as well as a combo in the hall area between the 2 bedrooms,and one smoke in each bedroom.The attic with the furnace/blower has to get the "Red-Eye"..or heat detector.
Russ
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Heat Detectors - 07/11/04 01:49 PM
Here are some thoughts.
NFPA 72
11.8.3.5 Specific Locations.
(2) Smoke alarms and smoke detectors shall not be located within unfinished attics or garages or in other spaces where temperatures can fall below 4 degrees C(40 degrees F) or exceed 38 degrees C(100degrees F). So if your attic reaches temperatures greater than 100 degrees F, no smokes.

Do you notice how it states smoke alarms and smoke detectors?
smoke alarms are what most electricians and homeowners install. The definition of smoke alarm and smoke detector are in NFPA 72.

Smoke detectors have to be connected to an alarm panel, smoke alarms are 'stand alone' units.

Pierre
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Heat Detectors - 07/11/04 02:03 PM
... So, the inter-connected,line voltage,battery back-up units are considered "stand alone"??..this is what type I'm referring to.. [Linked Image from getzfire.com]
The box reads "BRK smoke detector"
I'm confused..on the wording here.
Thanx,
Russ
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Heat Detectors - 07/11/04 02:17 PM
What I meant by stand alone, is the battery units that are not feed by a system or from the electrical panel.
If you want, I will post the two different definitions.
Those line voltage interconnected units that you show are not considered 'smoke detectors', they are 'smoke alarms'.

Pierre
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Heat Detectors - 07/11/04 02:21 PM
...Oh,I see,
Thanx for the help,Pierre [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
My issue of the NFPA 72 is from 1999,back from when I took my exam,..it doesn't have a Chapter 11,it only goes up to Ch.9,then it goes to the Appendix,I'm gonna try and get me a later issue.
Russ

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 07-11-2004).]
© ECN Electrical Forums