ECN Forum
Posted By: Kennyvp elect stove wire prob. - 07/08/04 06:30 PM
a home insp. just caught this on a insp of a property i have. the elect. stove is on a allm 6/2 wire with a 30 amp breaker. the stove requires 40 amps! however he is requiring the wire be changed not just the breaker. he wants 8/3 copper on a 40 amp breaker is this needed or can i just cahnge the breaker/ also can some one tell me the code number for amp ratins on allm wire?
Posted By: electricman2 Re: elect stove wire prob. - 07/08/04 07:05 PM
6AWG AL has a 60C rating of 40A. I assume you mean type SE cable. If NM is used it will need to be 6/3.
Posted By: trekkie76 Re: elect stove wire prob. - 07/08/04 08:16 PM
you would need 8/3 becuase the 6/2 doesn't have a ground. You could get away with 3 wire in an existing intallation, but if you are changing the breaker, you have to bring the circuit up to code. no grounding with the nuetral anymore. 310-16 has ampacities for al.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: elect stove wire prob. - 07/08/04 09:55 PM
How would a breaker replacement require a new circuit be installed? This is not a new installation. If you do change the wire you will not need to use 6/3 for a 40 amp circuit. 8/3 romex will suffice.
Posted By: trekkie76 Re: elect stove wire prob. - 07/10/04 10:12 PM
Maybe it is a local code, but I was always told that if you touch a circuit, you have to bring it up to current code. I can't find it in the NEC, but if it isn't a code rule, I wonder where it came from? anyone else heard of this?
© ECN Electrical Forums