ECN Forum
Posted By: jbfan plastic boxes - 07/02/04 01:00 AM
I have the old gray plastic boxes the you just push the screw in by hand to install the device. I have several high use outlets that will not stay tight in the boxes now. I have tried, with small sucess, tapping and using 8/32, and have tried caulk. I going to replace all my outlets and switches in the future and was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem?
Keith
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: plastic boxes - 07/02/04 01:07 AM
These are a pain. They are also still made and widely used today. I use an 8/32 if the 6 won't hold. Maybe try a #10 wood screw for your boxes. Oh is that a listing violation? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 07-01-2004).]
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: plastic boxes - 07/02/04 01:28 AM
A sheetrock screw usually will do the trick, if not I would replace the box.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: plastic boxes - 07/02/04 03:38 AM
Ancient Chinese Secret [Linked Image]

When the screw fails to grab, wrap the screw with plumbers tape or even black tape if you do it tightly.... Put pressure on the screw when threading in to help the tape enter the screw hole... This is particularly useful with the old bakelite boxes that have a habit of cracking if a larger screw is introduced... Drywall screws seem to do well in PVC boxes that are stripped out...

-Randy
Posted By: NORCAL Re: plastic boxes - 07/02/04 03:46 AM
I have had good luck with a Helicoil insert,it is a lot easier than changing the box, Qwik-click boxes suck.
© ECN Electrical Forums