ECN Forum
Posted By: ronaldsax hot checking - 06/30/04 10:43 PM
Hi
can anybody explain me please hot to do hot check , hot to use the multi meter to check voltage? Im new to the trade but Im really willing to learn . . .thank you
Posted By: Bjarney Re: hot checking - 06/30/04 10:54 PM
Welcome to E-C.net, ronald. That is a good question.

You might save waiting for new responses by searching the site for “voltage test”. There are 158 threads on the matter.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 06-30-2004).]
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: hot checking - 06/30/04 10:59 PM
Just rememeber that testing for voltage is working on energized equipment. Proper PPE and training is required.
Don
Posted By: Roger Re: hot checking - 06/30/04 11:02 PM
Ronald, welcome to the forum. [Linked Image]

To address your question, meters have instructions with the literature included when purchased, you can also be given information on forums, you may even be able to get instructions from a neighbor, but there is a problem with your question.

Don't take this wrong but you need to have someone experienced show you how to do this.

The voltages you will encounter in this trade are deadly as you know and this type of instruction can not safely be done in this type of medium.

Please stick around and don't take this as I'm (or the forum) not trying to be helpful,
it's quite the contrary, I am. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: ronaldsax Re: hot checking - 06/30/04 11:32 PM
Thank you , I found some interesting information and I'm reading it. Thanks for your help .I'll be posting some questions everyday , I hope you dont tired of me , I just want to learn more and more I like what I do
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: hot checking - 07/01/04 01:59 AM
Welcome to ECN Ronald [Linked Image]

One thing you will learn quickly is the people here care intensly about safety & doing things the right way... We hope as you learn more & more about the electrical trade that these values become vital to you.. (As evidently they are.. You're here seeking guidance [Linked Image] )
As far as equiptment to check for live voltage.. Multimeters, wiggys, non contact voltage sensors, etc. are all things that are used... Different situations are going to require different testing methods & equiptment.. Reading the manufacturers instructions from the testing equiptment is a good place to start for further information.
As said above, the voltages we encounter on a daily basis are dangerous. If you haven't already, you might consider seeking an apprenticeship with a local contractor to learn "hands on"..
I personally always do a "double check" with 2 different testing methods to make sure power is disconnected from what I may be working on.. Proper protection equiptment is always a good idea when live voltage may be at hand...

While on the subject, You may want to do a search under "Lockout/Tagout" procedures if you're not familiar with this term... This is a procedure in which you follow to make sure when you de-energize a circuit or equiptment you need to work on, it stays de-energized! This procedure is also mandated by OSHA..

As far as any other questions you have, ask away! [Linked Image] There are no "too simple or even 'stupid'" questions here... The smart people are the ones that ask & then proceed upon seasoned advice when in doubt... There are members here from all across the globe & from most every variation of the electrical world.. [Linked Image]

Good Luck [Linked Image]
-Randy

[This message has been edited by Lostazhell (edited 06-30-2004).]
Posted By: n1ist Re: hot checking - 07/01/04 01:43 PM
Another good idea is to test out your measuring device both before and after the test on a known-hot circuit to make sure it is properly functioning.
© ECN Electrical Forums