ECN Forum
Posted By: aldav53 Aluminum to copper wire - pigtailing - 06/21/04 06:45 AM
I will be adding copper pigtails to a home with aluminum wiring. Are the (copper to aluminum) purple wire nuts a good way to go? There are other types too. Can or should I pigtail the wires for the beakers too?
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Aluminum to copper wire - pigtailing - 06/21/04 01:02 PM
What ever way you do it must be listed, so avoid the temptation of squirting anti-oxidant compound into a normal wirenut. I am under the understanding that purple wire nuts are about the only listed way to do this, but I might be wrong.
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Aluminum to copper wire - pigtailing - 06/21/04 03:26 PM
There are some other special crimp-on type connectors but I will probably go with the purple wire nuts.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Aluminum to copper wire - pigtailing - 06/21/04 04:01 PM
Al,

The crimp-on connectors are the preferred way to go, but my understanding is that you have to be trained by the manufacturer to even purchase them.

Bill
Posted By: Radar Re: Aluminum to copper wire - pigtailing - 06/21/04 07:44 PM
Al,

Have you explored the liability issues that go along with this? Might be worth looking into.

Radar
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Aluminum to copper wire - pigtailing - 06/21/04 07:58 PM
I think if you do a search on this site you'll find a lot of discussion about the AL wire nuts and the special crimpers. You might also find a link to some other web sights dedicated to this subject. I don't remember much good said about the blue Ideal nuts.

I think one issue with the crimper is the wires long enough to use the tool. Or do you have a bunch of short wires in a small box.

Tom
© ECN Electrical Forums