ECN Forum
Posted By: Joey D Grounding equipment - 06/14/04 11:01 PM
A friend of mine just got a couple of spray gun cleaners and they have a lead on them for grounding, spark contoll. What would be the best way to ground them? Ground rod at the equipment would work, block building with steel I beams on the ceiling or electrical ground.
Posted By: SJT Re: Grounding equipment - 06/17/04 06:50 PM
Are these in a Non hazardous area? When I seen spray Gun, it made me think. Is it a piece of equipment that has a gounding tail ( which should be hooked up to an equipment ground conductor). I'm not sure what kind of equipment you have there.
Posted By: Joey D Re: Grounding equipment - 06/20/04 05:52 PM
Yes they are in a non haz. location.
They need power which has hot/nuet/ground but also on the side of the unit they have a lead on them for grounding. Just got me thinking
Posted By: Freqdrive Re: Grounding equipment - 06/23/04 10:32 PM
That ground sounds like it can go to building steel. Check the manual but I believe its there to shunt away the static.
Posted By: Joey D Re: Grounding equipment - 06/26/04 01:22 AM
The building is block with a steel beam roof. I figure a ground rod would do the trick.
Posted By: winnie Re: Grounding equipment - 06/26/04 02:04 AM
You are going to have to check the manual. The lead might be for grounding the item being sprayed, so that static doesn't build up and deflect the spray. I have no experience with this, just a hunch [Linked Image]

-Jon
Posted By: hbiss Re: Grounding equipment - 06/26/04 02:18 AM
No, you don't use a ground rod for anything unless it's bonded to the equipment ground at the service.

You better figure out what this lead is for. If it's connected to the ground on the supply then the machine is already grounded and another ground by this lead pointless.

Are these machines new? If yes what does the manual say? Do you have a manual? If they are used could these leads have been installed by the previous owner for some reason? Could these leads be used to ground the spray gun that is being cleaned rather than what you assume?

-Hal
Posted By: Joey D Re: Grounding equipment - 06/28/04 11:42 PM
No they are not new.
The machine will be grounded from the panel thru a #12. I will look into this more and report back. Thanks
© ECN Electrical Forums