ECN Forum
Posted By: pauluk Some rail pics - 06/10/04 04:04 PM
For ECN members who are also rail enthusiasts (I know we have quite a few!) here are a few snaps I took today in the nearby town of Hoveton. This is the regular British Rail station:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Some rail pics - 06/10/04 04:06 PM
Standing on the footbridge across the road below, here's the view looking toward the north. Almost in the center you can see the old-style switchtower ("signalbox" in British parlance):
[Linked Image]

The little building on the left of the last picture is the terminus of the Bure Valley Railway, a narrow-gauge tourist attraction:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-10-2004).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Some rail pics - 06/10/04 04:14 PM
This train had just arrived and the locomotive was using the turntable and loop ready for the return trip:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Musn't forget the water: [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-10-2004).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Some rail pics - 06/10/04 04:28 PM
None of this has much to do with electricity, but I did take some pics of the
33-to-11kv Sub-station which is right behind the main British Rail station, next to that cell-tower.
Posted By: DougW Re: Some rail pics - 06/10/04 06:48 PM
[smartass]Which One's Thomas? I get them confused! [Linked Image] [/smartass]

Thanks for the pics, Paul!
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Some rail pics - 06/11/04 07:42 PM
My son was thrilled to see the pictures. Thanks.

P. S. Do the trains in the UK go forward on the left side or the right side? (Maybe it depends on the direction one is facing?) [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Some rail pics - 06/11/04 08:08 PM
Glad he enjoyed them! Oh, and Thomas is actually blue, though a little different to this loco. [Linked Image]

Left-track running is the norm: In the fifth pic that's the rear of a northbound train just leaving the station that you can see on the left track. There are a few places where right-running takes place due to complex track arrangements though.

There is still a stretch of single-track branch line in this area as well, complete with grade crossings ("level crossings") where you have yo get out, phone the signalman to check the line is clear and open the gates yourself. I'll get some pics of that one for you next time I'm over that way.
Posted By: classicsat Re: Some rail pics - 06/13/04 04:00 PM
What is that barrel on a pole thing (to the right of the blue locomotive in the last picttre)?
Posted By: pauluk Re: Some rail pics - 06/13/04 10:25 PM
It's their small water tower. The guy in that last pic is holding the hose to refill the loco's tank.
Posted By: Radar Re: Some rail pics - 06/14/04 08:28 PM
Great pics.

I have some pictures I took of an old steamer (big ol' 4-8-4 Mercado) and a buncha old passenger cars that oulled into Union Station in Los Angeles last summer. I have no idea how to post pictures, and if this is the right area, but if anyone is interested, let me know.

Radar
Posted By: Radar Re: Some rail pics - 06/16/04 06:53 PM
OK, I think I have this figured out. here are a few pictures taken of an old steamer in Union Station (Los Angeles) in the summer of 2002.

Radar

[Linked Image from logroom.com]

Posted By: pauluk Re: Some rail pics - 06/22/04 02:49 PM
Good pics Radar, and to British eyes this loco just shouts "American made" [Linked Image]

I've taken a few more pics as promised above, but as this thread is now taking a while for all the images to load on dial-up I've started a new thread:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004453.html
Posted By: pauluk Re: Some rail pics - 06/24/04 10:26 PM
For more on the little narrow-gauge line, have a look here:

Bure Valley Railway

Oh, and this one's for you Doug..... [Linked Image]

[Linked Image from bvrw.fsnet.co.uk]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-24-2004).]
© ECN Electrical Forums