ECN Forum
Posted By: Roger Gardens - 06/05/04 11:36 PM
I was wondering who else grows summer (or any season) gardens and what they plant.

I know Ed MacLaren is a gardener and Iwire planted a garden this year.

A note of interest, I have heard of records or extraordinary specimens of vegetables having been grown in Alaska.

Now, who knows how to get rid of Moles?

Roger
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Gardens - 06/06/04 12:20 AM
I haven't had one in a couple years Roger.

When we did have one,I always had a little of everything.

Potatoes,corn,tomatoes,cabbage,green beans,okra,and always a patch of lettuce and turnip greens.And always onions and a little pepper.

Moles? My Dad used to broadcast a little Ammonia all ove the garden after it was turned,but before anything was planted. Don't know if it really worked,but never had Mole trouble.

Russell
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Gardens - 06/06/04 12:22 AM
Roger wrote

You should seek the advice of a licensed, qualified dermatologist in your area [Linked Image]

-Randy
Posted By: hbiss Re: Gardens - 06/06/04 12:35 AM
I heard duct tape works well...

Ohhh, you mean moles in the ground? I suppose if you catch the little buggers duct tape can work there too. [Linked Image]

-Hal
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Gardens - 06/06/04 12:47 AM
Amost forgot,I used to have a Short-haired Feist,good squirrel dog,and he HATED Moles.

If the started in the yard,he'd put a stop to them pretty quick.

Russell
Posted By: Roger Re: Gardens - 06/06/04 12:58 AM
Hello Russell, thats about the same as we do along with Squash and mellons.

Randy and Hal, we had the county agent out and duct tape was mentioned, we are now awaiting the UL information on listings for skin, uh soil use.

Russell, we have a cat (17 now) that in her younger days would absolutly cover the steps with moles on any given day, I need another young cat. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: mvpmaintman Re: Gardens - 06/06/04 01:08 AM
Moles travel under ground by vibration, take a stick and tie an empty alunminum pie tin to it with a short cord so the breeze causes it to bang on the stick.

Moles also like to eat grubs, eliminate the grubs, I use diazinon, and the stuff also elimnates fleas and ticks so my Silky Terrier and I can catch the little buggers w/o suffering too much.

I like to grow toamtoes, squash, zuchini and watermelon. I also have several fruit trees.
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Gardens - 06/06/04 01:57 AM
... I have some very "exotic looking weeds" growing in my yard....They smell funny when you incinerate them,...I kinda get hungry after a couple of hours of controlled incineration, when they grow too big... Any ideas?? [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Russ
Posted By: electure Re: Gardens - 06/06/04 02:24 AM
I've already got ripe tomatoes, zucchini squash, green beans and cucumbers. [Linked Image]

We've also got a couple of hundred tropical plants - orchids, ferns, plumerias, platicerium, etc.

In this "instant gratification" world we live in, planting a seed and waiting for it to grow can be very rewarding...S

PS, Last time I did in a gopher we took a moped, routed the exhaust through a hose into a hole, and ran it full throttle with the choke on.
When the drunken little bugger came out another hole, I shot him with a .357

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 06-05-2004).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Gardens - 06/06/04 03:21 AM
Go rent a How-To movie called CaddyShack and study the methods used there.

[Linked Image]

I get them now and then. I agree with MVP above, get rid of the Grubs, they'll go elsewhere. There are poison pellets that you can put in the tunnels too.

Bill
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Gardens - 06/06/04 03:27 AM
Attic Rat:

Might those weeds be a good addition to a batch of brownies? Maybe make up a few for the next church picnic or Phish concert....

As far as moles go, how about driving a few ground rods, and hooking them across 480V? [Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: Gardens - 06/06/04 05:11 PM
Yeah we (The wife and kids) planted a garden.

I have no idea if we will have any luck, it is a first try.
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Gardens - 06/06/04 08:18 PM
Here in the Land of Small Yards in So. Minneapolis, I have a little patch that struggles for a half day of sun. With lots of mulch and favorable weather, I have managed some credible heirloom tomatoes (the Brandywine is the reason God gave us the ability to influence Nature [Linked Image] ). The rest is shade flowers, coleus, impatiens, etc.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Gardens - 06/06/04 08:40 PM
I don't have much of a green thumb, so I'm afraid gardening isn't one of my strong points.

We have quite a problem with moles in this area at the moment. My cat will sit for an hour or more staring at a mole-hill, then pounce into the middle of it. Never seen him actually catch one of the little critters yet though.
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: Gardens - 06/06/04 09:07 PM
I've begun to get organized in our 'new' home (moved in last August) and am working on a quaint veggie garden that also has flowers here and there. My dogs were not happy about the cute white picket fence as they can no longer run the short length of fence when the neighbor's dog comes out. So far I have 1 pepper to boast about.

I've already planted some flowers in beds and have some established flowers from the previous owners that brighten up the place.

I'll send Bill a couple photos and maybe he'll add it to my post here (hint, hint, pretty please).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

No Problem Bren!! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 06-06-2004).]
Posted By: Ralpha494 Re: Gardens - 06/07/04 12:30 AM
I saw a picture of a failed attempt to get rid of some critters. The caption said some janitors (I think at the High School in Minot ND) used a propane system to burn them out. The trouble was they burrowed into a pad mounted transformer. When they set off the spark it blew the transformer cover ten feet or so away. It never tripped any overcurrent device. I tried searching for the pictures for an OSHA-10 class but couldn't find it.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Gardens - 06/07/04 05:34 AM
We have a nice crop of clover, dandelions and crab grass.

As to the moles, try this , this , or this .

P. S. If that doesn't work,
this probably will .

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 06-07-2004).]
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: Gardens - 06/08/04 02:21 AM
Seriously [Linked Image]... I have successfully used a couple of tactics:

Bone meal can be sprinkled on the surface of existing plants or buried while planting new plants or seeds to ward off some rodents and deer. Don't breath it and plan on replenishing it on the surface to maintain the protection. I use it in the veggie garden (perimeter or side dressing individual plants) and also for flower beds as the rabbits and deer think they're more than pretty popsies, they're a delicacy to nibble.

I've also begun to plant garlic in with just about everything to ward off underground pests - rodents and insects.

I've had cats that were excellent gopher-getters and also have a couple of dogs that are happy to dig and chase anything and everything that they deem worthy of their efforts. The downside to that is that their choice and mine don't always coincide - flower beds and pots are subject to full searches, for example. Another risk is that the neighbor's ferret became the chase du jour one fateful day and we had stinkin' dogs due to the musk glands. We also have bubonic plague in this region and its generally carried by the fleas on rodents so I cringe when critters interact, no matter who wins.

[This message has been edited by BuggabooBren (edited 06-07-2004).]
© ECN Electrical Forums