ECN Forum
Posted By: coachman Hot Tub wiring - 06/03/04 02:14 AM
I'm estimating my 1st outdoor Hot Tub (50amp) in NJ. Panel to tub apx 80 feet. I figure 50amp 2 pole in panel, Weatherproof 50 amp 2 pole GFCI disconnect 5 feet from tub. THWN #6 for the hots, THWN #8 for the neutral & ground.
Should I use #4 for the hots or is #6 ok?
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Hot Tub wiring - 06/03/04 02:27 AM
I would use the #6 for hots & #8 for nut and ground in a 3/4" pipe. Most of my customers have a hart atack when they get an estomate for this. They don't understand the labor and material needed until it's done. If you are competing for this job your not going to win by over sizing the wires. I love over kill but it does not seem to sell.

Tom
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Hot Tub wiring - 06/03/04 02:55 AM
...Coachman, are you using a 50 amp.GFCI breaker at the panel,or the new Square "D" Type 3R Hot Tub/Spa Load Center with the GFCI,and pull-out disconnect self contained..?? I use them and they're great..It keeps the disconnect outdoors for emergency disconnecting..You'd still need a 50a. breaker at the panel,tho'...Don't forget to bond the motor(s) to the control panel ground bar,with a piece of #8 solid THHN.. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] Good Luck on your 1st of many more to come!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ
P.S....Many "Jacuzzi's" have a 1" K.O. in the control box..so,if you come in with 3/4" pipe,or liquid-tite,("seal-tite")..you'll need a set of reducing washers..

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 06-02-2004).]
Posted By: coachman Re: Hot Tub wiring - 06/03/04 03:45 AM
I'll be using the standard 50 amp at the panel and the Square D Hot Tub GFCI Load Center at the tub. I was concerned about the voltage drop at 80 feet using #6 for the hots.
Posted By: BigB Re: Hot Tub wiring - 06/03/04 03:53 AM
Coachman were still on the 99 code where 680-38 says Disco at least five feet away and no more than 50 feet away and within sight however THIS REQUIREMENT SHALL NOT APPLY TO SINGLE FAMILY DWELLINGS. I don't know if this was changed for 02. We still install a disconnect at the end of the EMT to make the transition to rigid unless the panel is really close then we just pipe from there with the GFCI in the panel. Sometimes we use those ten dollar unfused discos if the GFCI is in the panel or if the spa has self contained GFCI.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Hot Tub wiring - 06/03/04 10:38 PM
Bigb that requirement is for an emergency shutoff switch. You must have a disconnect switch for servicing purposes in a single family dwelling. Also are you pipping into the panel on the interior of the house? NEC allows any wiring method on the interior of a single family including romex.
Posted By: BigB Re: Hot Tub wiring - 06/04/04 12:33 AM
No I'm referring to outdoor panels as virtually every house here in the Southwestern Desert has. If the panel is in sight then I believe it meets the disconnect rule for servicing. Sometimes we run up to the attic with pipe then use romex to get to the other side of the house thru the attic then pipe down to a disco.
© ECN Electrical Forums