ECN Forum
Posted By: Dave55 What testers do you use? - 05/26/04 03:55 PM
I just received a magazine from Fluke and was wondering what kind of testers you use. I'll be honest here and say I'm a little cheap. I went to my truck and I have a GB digital multi-meter, a GB circuit tracker, and a GB pen type non-contact voltage probe. I probably got them all at the local hardware store. I've never bought or used a megger. Aside from the expense, I think I'd be afraid to lay a Fluke down on the jobsite.

What do you use?

Dave
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: What testers do you use? - 05/26/04 04:49 PM
Big Fluke fan here.

I keep a model 87 DMM in the truck, along with an 80i-400 clamp-on AC current probe. For more sophisticated testing, I drag out a 123 ScopeMeter. And a Fluke non-contact voltage detector lives right in my toolbelt.

Other gear includes a Supco megger, Harris toner/tracer set, and a homebrew telephone "buttset" (El Cheapo corded phone w/zip cord and red/green alligator clips attached).

My electronics testbench has a Fluke 8060A DMM, along with a Tektronix scope, a couple HP signal generators, and a handful of Heathkits (remember those?).

[This message has been edited by NJwirenut (edited 05-26-2004).]
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: What testers do you use? - 05/26/04 06:05 PM
In order from the most used to the least:

Greenlee BEHA Unitest

Etcon polarity / GFI test

Ideal Pathfinder for USOC, CATx & coax (with toner)

Generic VOM ~$12, less if I find one

Non-contact volt sniffer

Amprobe clampon

Generic buttset

Ideal ABS (Almost a Buttset)

Amprobe open finder
Posted By: Mean Gene Re: What testers do you use? - 05/26/04 07:27 PM
I too am a big Fluke fan (investor). I have the Model 87V and the i1010 AC/DC Current Clamp.

For those who fool with network wiring on a regular basis they make a wonderful series of handheld network testers. I bought the MicroScanner Pro and wonder how I ever did without it.

[This message has been edited by Mean Gene (edited 05-26-2004).]
Posted By: Ever Ready Re: What testers do you use? - 05/26/04 09:37 PM
I use a combination of Fluke,Robin,Megger,Martiundale and Metrohm test equipment
Posted By: Roger Re: What testers do you use? - 05/27/04 01:07 AM
My meters.

[Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: twh Re: What testers do you use? - 05/27/04 01:23 AM
1 - cheap clamp meter for most use.

1 - Fluke 87 III with clamp for more accurate readings,

1 - cheap digital megger, because I don't want to be responsible for changing a 100 HP motor unless I'm really sure.

assorted - unreliable volt ticks.

1 - apprentice to check wires after the volt tick
Posted By: CRM Re: What testers do you use? - 05/27/04 02:52 AM
An amprobe ac/dc clamp on multi meter is the best value for the money, I've been using them for ten years with no problems.
Posted By: John Steinke Re: What testers do you use? - 05/27/04 02:56 AM
First of all, this is NOT an ad, and I'm not getting paid in any way...
Secondly, I own an (according to Fluke) an exceptionally accurate Fluke.
That said, I reccomend someone else.

FIeldpiece. They make meters for Ideal. The model that they market to the HVAC market is a 'stick' that easily fits in a pocket. Slip-on heads allow assorted additional uses, such as an amp-clamp, true-rms, temp, etc. Heads can be bought as you need them. Leads have interchangeable tips- need an alligator clip, change the tip. Check out their website.

Available at HVAC suppliers.
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: What testers do you use? - 05/27/04 03:49 AM
... I've got...an Amprobe AC/DC3000,an Etcon solenoid Voltage/Continuity Tester,an Ideal "pen-type" inductive tester,a Fluke "pen-type"inductive tester,a Fluke TS1000,ammeter/digital voltmeter,ohm-meter,2 Ideal circuit breaker identifiers,an old analog Heathkit VOM,...and my trusty thumb and fore-finger.. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ
Posted By: sparky*62 Re: What testers do you use? - 05/27/04 04:33 AM
Big fluke fan, a T5 is in my pouch and on the bench with a 87 and a 183 with a t3 and a voltalert in my pocket
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: What testers do you use? - 05/27/04 05:46 AM
Russ & I have the same clamp on meter.. (Amprobe ACDC3000) Never had a problem with it & seems to be very reliable 10 years later =) I also have a cheap Ideal clamp on for basic stuff, Ideal plug-in tester (Although this is my 2nd one & the ground pin is wiggling loose on this one as well! =( I might try the Hubbell version..) http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/wiring/section-u-datasheet.asp?PN=HBL5200&FAM=OWP
I have a "CED" (supply house brand) hotstick or EMF stick... But it's a Fluke by manufacture... Other than that, I have one of the 2/3rds size wiggy's from Ideal... 10 years old & still fine.. A progressive electronics circuit/tone generator.. Works awesome! & some junk meters I've come across here & there... (Radio Shack caliber.. ) That just tend to be a back up stash for when Im in the middle of nowhere!)

-Randy
Posted By: BigJohn Re: What testers do you use? - 05/27/04 06:08 AM
I just have an Ideal Vol-Con and my two Fluke non-contact sensors for most trouble-shooting (though hot-sticks are pretty questionable for that). If I need precise readings (very rare), I break out one of the multimeters I normally keep for bench-top use: One no-name digital and one Wave-Tek 27-XT with capacitance, inductance, and frequency capability.

I've been looking into getting a clamp-meter, preferably one that can read true-RMS. Probably a Fluke or a Amprobe.

Roger,

In your picture, between the tracer and that analog clamp-meter in the bottom row: What is that? Phase rotation meter?

-John
Posted By: Roger Re: What testers do you use? - 05/27/04 10:06 AM
John, yes, that is an ideal rotation meter.

Roger
Posted By: DougW Re: What testers do you use? - 05/27/04 05:22 PM
Although I'm currently without some of these due to a ripoff, These are the ones that I use or used & will be replacing.

Greenlee volt-tick (non-contact voltage detector)

Ideal circuit-tracer (circuit identifier for "hot" circuits)

Ideal Vol-Con (Voltage, Continuity, and non-contact voltage detector)

Ideal ABS w/(Harris? It's gray and red) tone generator.

I've got a "disposable" (<$15) DMM for field use.

Just got some Sperry Clamp Ammeters / V-A's, but I need to get 'em calibrated before I seriously use 'em.

Ideal GFCI / Circuit tester (the single piece plug-in with the three neon lights and the black button, not the "corded" adjustable trip version)

I looked at the Fluke (T5-600?) combo volt / amp / continuity tester, but I really got used to the Ideal's NCV test capability - one less (tiny) tool to cart around, or dig for in the dark recesses of the tool pouch.

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 05-27-2004).]
© ECN Electrical Forums