ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy Took the plunge - 08/25/01 01:50 AM
Well, I just submitted to be listed on the "Electrician Finder" section of this site. I will now go out and buy a summer home in anticipation of the new business.
BTW,
How do you insert the smilie icons in the body of the messages? I can only place them in the heading.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 08-24-2001).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Took the plunge - 08/25/01 05:01 AM
Redsy,

Good Luck to you!
Can't promise that anything will help, only that it couldn't hurt. Some people have said that it hasn't helped and some have actually asked to have Listings removed because they went out of business and people keep calling. !!

Look at the "smiles Legend" on the left side of the message window next time you post.

: + ) = [Linked Image]

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/smilies.html

: + D = [Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: Took the plunge - 08/25/01 10:31 AM
Go for it Redsy!

are U intending to be a sole prop, or a corp?
Posted By: Redsy Re: Took the plunge - 08/25/01 02:06 PM
Originally posted by sparky:
Go for it Redsy!

are U intending to be a sole prop, or a corp?
I have been a sole proprietor for a year now. I will keep it that way as long as possible.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Took the plunge - 08/25/01 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Bill Addiss:
Redsy,

Good Luck to you!
Can't promise that anything will help, only that it couldn't hurt. Some people have said that it hasn't helped and some have actually asked to have Listings removed because they went out of business and people keep calling. !!

Look at the "smiles Legend" on the left side of the message window next time you post.

: + ) = [Linked Image]

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/smilies.html

: + D = [Linked Image]
Bill

I don't have any expectations either way. I just thought it was a good idea at this point, and worth a try. I'm starting with hte free listing, so I have nothing to lose.
Now, let's try the other thing.
[Linked Image]

Well, it works. I thought I tried that before and it did not convert the keyboard symbols to a smilie. Oh, well. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 08-25-2001).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Took the plunge - 08/25/01 03:00 PM
Redsy

If you want to try something else (also Free) Make a website ..

FREE Websites

Simple Tutorial

Bill
Posted By: Redsy Re: Took the plunge - 08/26/01 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Bill Addiss:
Redsy

If you want to try something else (also Free) Make a website ..

FREE Websites

Thanks, Bill. I will try soon. I thought I might need some pictures or logos or some other sort of eye candy.

Simple Tutorial

Bill
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Took the plunge - 08/26/01 12:17 AM
Redsy,

There's plenty of free clip art out there. Even sopme sites that will design logos and Banners just for the practice.

Take a look around.

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Jim M Re: Took the plunge - 08/26/01 02:30 PM
Redsy,

Did you consider the liability issues vs. a LLC or an S corporation?

Good luck in your venture. I just finished my 5th year. When I am doing paperwork at 11 at night I think sometimes it would be easier to punch someone elses timeclock.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Took the plunge - 08/26/01 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Jim M:
Redsy,

Did you consider the liability issues vs. a LLC or an S corporation?

Jim,
Well, currently I have a day job, and I'm doing this as a hedge against a layoff. I have the required licenses and 2 mil. liability(I know this doesn't go that far these days). I am married and all my assets are jointly held, so it seems that at this point, without any employees, this is the simplest way to go.
Have you any other advice, or can you discuss the pros&cons of the LLC or S?
BTW,
If I had a choice, I would probably prefer to punch someone else's timeclock. I tried this business 11 years ago, and gave it up after about 2 years. I feel now, at 40, that it's now, or never.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 08-26-2001).]
© ECN Electrical Forums