ECN Forum
Posted By: Electric Ian removing new work box - 05/12/04 02:33 AM
Anyone have any good tricks for removing a new work box from a finished wall?
Posted By: fla sparkey Re: removing new work box - 05/12/04 02:45 AM
What I have done before that works well for me is to first pry the box away from the stud using a screwdriver. You only have to create a small gap between the box and stud. Then I use a sawzall and cut the nails holding the box to the stud. Next carefully pull the box and wire out of the wall. I usually don't have too much trouble doing it this way.
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: removing new work box - 05/12/04 03:35 AM
I'll second cutting the nails off.

A sawzall with a good metal blade will work wonders.

I like pushing the box into the wall to work the wires out of it, and then, only if convenient, coaxing the box out of the hole. (my hand is still small enough to get into the wall.)
Posted By: donles Re: removing new work box - 05/15/04 04:14 PM
I use the sawzall to cut the metal brackets close to the box. Then work the wires out of the box and either pull it out or drop it into cavity. Finally, if necessary I remove the brackets/nails.
Don
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: removing new work box - 05/16/04 09:53 AM
Just curious... what are you planning on doing with the wire that is there after the box is removed?

Pierre
Posted By: FWL_Engineer Re: removing new work box - 05/16/04 02:36 PM
Did I see NAILS mentioned!!

Glad we use screw in the UK..so much easier to remove things.. [Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: removing new work box - 05/16/04 02:42 PM
You would still be cutting them as they would be inaccessible in the closed wall. [Linked Image]

By the way WELCOME! [Linked Image]

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 05-16-2004).]
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: removing new work box - 05/16/04 03:01 PM
... If the wire is Romex,and the old box is metal,you can substitute the box with a plastic cut-in,because they're usually a tad bit larger,and you can cut the wallboard open in order for the plaster ears to be snug against the wall material,..then tighten the hold down screws with the wing brackets and you're done..Available in single,2-gang,3-gang as well..Plastic boxes allow more volume capacity,as there's no clamp for de-rating..
Russ

[Linked Image from passandseymour.com]

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 05-16-2004).]
Posted By: SteveMc Re: removing new work box - 05/16/04 07:11 PM
I found it easier to use diagonal pliers to cut the nails(on plastic boxes). I always used them to pull the cut end of the nail out of the stud too. As to the why...to replace a single gang box with a double gang when the customer wanted a ceiling fan installed in place of the ceiling light.
Posted By: Obsaleet Re: removing new work box - 05/16/04 10:35 PM
Has anyone tryed rh smart boxes, for this application. I just used 3 last week. they worked great!

Obsaleet
Posted By: BigB Re: removing new work box - 05/17/04 02:49 AM
What are rh smartboxes and where do you get them?
B
© ECN Electrical Forums