ECN Forum
Posted By: electure A Very Lucky Guy - 05/06/04 01:34 AM
How could this accident have been prevented?
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-05-05-nail-head_x.htm
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: A Very Lucky Guy - 05/06/04 02:25 AM
He got six nails driven into his head. As Archie Bunker would say, "what in the hell's lucky about that?"
Posted By: maintenanceguy Re: A Very Lucky Guy - 05/06/04 04:04 AM
Six Times?

oops...oops...oops...oops...oops...oops...man that's gonna smart.
Posted By: Tiffany Sparks Re: A Very Lucky Guy - 05/06/04 04:10 AM
Things like this are amazing!! Several years ago, in the neighboring area of Minnesota a carpenter was "nailed" when he dropped his gun, and didn't realize he was shot until he went to take off his hat later in the day........it is good to see these folks alive to tell about it.
Tiff
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: A Very Lucky Guy - 05/06/04 04:25 AM
I've had one go into my leg before...that was plenty for me. I agree with Archie Bunker on this one!
Posted By: Bjarney Re: A Very Lucky Guy - 05/06/04 04:24 PM
Nice X-ray pic at... http://newsobserver.com/24hour/nation/story/1346914p-8538289c.html

[Maybe Klein could diversify into surgical tools.]
Posted By: Big Jim Re: A Very Lucky Guy - 05/07/04 06:11 AM
The accident could have been prevented or minimized by requiring commercial air nailers to use the same interlocks required on homeowner versions. With the commercial gun, you hold the trigger down, bounce it against the surface and it nails every time. The more restrictive ones require both a bump and a trigger pull for each nail. Industry would fight the change tooth and nail because it would slow production.
Note: I'm not saying if its good or bad, only that it would have changed this accident.
Posted By: rmiell Re: A Very Lucky Guy - 05/07/04 09:31 PM
Heard this on the news last night (Best Damn Sports Show) and they said the guy had told the ems that he thought someone did this to him, while he was out of it!. Still unlucky, no matter what.

Rick Miell
Posted By: ccdave Re: A Very Lucky Guy - 05/07/04 11:45 PM
This one could have been prevented if he had not fallen off the roof onto the framer.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: A Very Lucky Guy - 05/08/04 12:06 AM
LMAO!!!
Posted By: hbiss Re: A Very Lucky Guy - 05/08/04 01:06 AM
...The accident could have been prevented or minimized by requiring commercial air nailers to use the same interlocks required on homeowner versions. With the commercial gun, you hold the trigger down, bounce it against the surface and it nails every time. The more restrictive ones require both a bump and a trigger pull for each nail.

What "homeowner versions"? The "commercial" ones I have (Stanley-Bostitch)give you a choice.

They come from the factory so only a bump while you hold the trigger will shoot a nail. I find this option to be a PITA because if the gun bounces it will shoot multiple nails in the same spot. My first thought also was this is dangerous as hell! Just way too easy to shoot by accident.

They include a modification kit which I installed that will convert the gun so that you have to push the nose down against your work first then pull the trigger to shoot a nail. Much safer.

As far as I'm concerned the ONLY way any gun should equipped is the second way. By shipping it equipped the first way and offering an option you just invite the brain dead (or soon to be!) to use it that way.

-Hal
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: A Very Lucky Guy - 05/08/04 01:23 AM
I always bumped when I framed. Too slow the other way and triggers go out too fast. I agree though, they're not safe.
© ECN Electrical Forums