ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss * * Welcome New Members * * - 04/29/04 07:21 PM
Welcome to all of the New Members who have recently signed up! Here's a good place to make your first post.

(We do one of these every so often and it seems to work out well)

Say hello, tell us where you're from ...
Test - 1 - 2 - 3 is also a winner ... [Linked Image]

As usual, if any other Members want to add their comments or encouragement here please do!

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Roger Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 04/30/04 12:00 AM
Welcome to all you new people.

As Bill says, let us know about yourself, you will find a very accomodating bunch, (not to mention an entertaining bunch [Linked Image]) of people here.

Roger
Posted By: Nick Kleyn Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 04/30/04 12:46 AM
G'day Mate
I live in Grand Rapids. MI have my own company and have 14 employees. I have lived in the States for 15 years and moved here from Australia, Tasmania. Had to learn a lot in the uSA when I first came as things here are doen so different then in Tasmania. I did my apprentiship in a Paper Mill (dirty and smelly) I realy enjoy the states it a good place to live and lots of oppertunity
Posted By: Andy1845c Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 04/30/04 12:51 AM
Hello, I'll jump in here [Linked Image]

I'm from Mankato, Minnesota, i'm 19 years old and am working as an apprentice electrician. I find this board very interesting and I'm doing my best to refrain from asking stuipd questions, lol
Posted By: Roger Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 04/30/04 01:13 AM
Hello Nick and Andy.

Nick, I've done my time in the paper mills also. It was always amusing to see the looks people woud give you when stopping at the super market after a shift.

Andy, do your best to answer all the educational(school work) questions on your own, and then ask away. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 04/30/04 01:22 PM
Welcome Nick and Andy!

Anyone else out there that wants to say hello?

c'mon ..
[Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 04/30/04 04:13 PM
Welcome to all. [Linked Image]

Nick,
I'm sure you've already noticed that we have a Non-U.S. area, should you want to chat about how you used to do things in the "Old Country," and we have several members from Australia and New Zealand, as well as one or two "Pommies" like myself.

And to new U.S./Canadian members, if you have any questions about how we do things in other parts of the world, don't be afraid to post a question in the non-U.S. area. With members in several European countries, somebody can probably come up with an answer to most queries about that funny foreign 'lectric'. [Linked Image]
Posted By: IngPTY Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 04/30/04 04:18 PM
Thanks for the welcoming...!

I´m an Electromechanical Engineer from Panama small country in Central America, not much year in the field. But loving every minute. Im a Sales representative and sometimes work as a contrator.

Thanks Bill...!
Posted By: Elisa Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 04/30/04 04:44 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I am interested in an electrician apprenticeship as stated in my post "Apprenticeship" as some of you may have already seen. Currently I am an electronic tech. I work on flight safety equipment for planes.

Elisa
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 04/30/04 06:59 PM
Welcome, Newbies! Glad to have you here.

I'm not in the Electrical industry but help put together projects for a gov't facility and often have to find out the details of all types of work to be done on them. I came here for some info and stuck around (and not just for the entertainment alone, Roger.. [Linked Image] ) because there is a lot of learning one can do about the industry and life in general!

(edited for adbay ellingspay)

[This message has been edited by BuggabooBren (edited 04-30-2004).]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 04/30/04 07:30 PM
Hiya All!
Welcome to ECN! [Linked Image]
I'm a service electrician in Southern California, came across ECN while looking up some code references & became addicted to the vast resources of electrical information, not to mention the personalities of members, moderators & of course, our webmaster that make coming back here always a pleasure.. Just to get an idea of the family thats here, click below https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002850.html

-Randy
Posted By: electure Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 04/30/04 11:31 PM
Welcome to all you new folks!
Don't feel apprehensive about posting questions, answers, or any other wholesome thing. (I honestly felt near terror the first time I punched the "submit" button.)
We're all here to help each other, and this is about the most friendly bunch of people I've found anywhere.

Make yourself at home, and thanks for being here!...S
Posted By: djpep55 Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/01/04 12:07 AM
Hey Bill,

Thanks for having such a great site here. I've spent about 10 hours wandering around. It's been a humbling experience reading the posts of the proffesional & well-educated electricians, engineers & inspectors.

I'm an electrical contractor from northern Illinois where the electrician's test is easy & the inspectors are gentlemen.

I especially want to thank you for the safety area, which has taught me to put the gloves on & disconnect what I'm working on. You may have added years to my life.

Dave
Posted By: djpep55 Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/01/04 12:12 AM
P.S.
Where's the spell-checker on this?

"proffesional"

Dave
Posted By: JLane Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/01/04 01:40 AM
Hello Everyone

I'm an electrician from the Texas Panhandle. I've been lurking a while -- reading all the past posts-- catching up. My wife is always wondering just what exactly I'm reading and thanks to the EC&M article I got to show her how big this community is.

Looking forward to adding my two cents and soaking up all the knowledge I can from everyone.

Thanks, Bill

JLane
Posted By: Merlin Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/01/04 02:21 AM
Hello all, I am 27 years old and live in northwest Indiana. My day job is an equipment operator/electrician at a stone quarry. I also do some residential, farm and light commercial electrical work on the side. I am working up to my own business some day. I am addicted to this site for all the great knowledge here. You guys are wonderful. Thanks for all the great information, and hopefully some day I can answer many of these questions.

Thanks again, Kevin
Posted By: Trumpy Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/01/04 06:53 AM
Hey Guys!,
I'd just like to echo the comments of Scott(Electure).
It's great to have you guys along here and yes we are here to help one another.
There may only be 3 people here from the Southern Hemisphere at ECN, but I feel more comfortable talking to the folks from the Northern hemisphere, than I do to people down the street. [Linked Image]
But, it's good that more of you are coming to this site, Bill is doing a great job here, I just hope that we get more of you new folk coming in and enjoying what ECN has to offer.
And believe me, it's got plenty!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: buzzard Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/01/04 02:04 PM
Hi all-
I too have been lurking, time to come out and say hi. I am from eastern Washington State. I usually work on industrial jobs, and will soon be starting a new business.
Posted By: iwire Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/01/04 03:54 PM
Sorry to get in late but Welcome to all the new members, very happy to have you join in.

Jump right in answer or ask some questions, there is no flaming here so do not worry that your question may be simple.

There are many code questions that seem simple at first but may not be as clear as we expect.

Happy Posting.

Bob
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/05/04 12:28 AM
It's nice to hear from some new people.
Welcome aboard!

Let's keep it going, Anyone else??

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: wirewiz Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/05/04 12:57 AM
Not new guy, but I have not posted in a while! I went backwards in the tech world. [Linked Image]
From broadband to dial-up. Kicking SCREAMIN!!!! [Linked Image] All the way! Did not even get on line for about 3 months. Except when absolutly necessary, Thank you Kinkos.

Lots of new members and a couple of new moderators it's no suprise though, if this is my favorite site I'm sure other people enjoy it too. Welcome to all.
Bill
Posted By: texassparky Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/05/04 01:21 AM
Hello all. My name is Tommy, I am from the Dallas/Ft.Worth area. I have been in the field about 12 years. Texas finally got it together and we now have state license. Just receive my Journeyman a few weeks ago. They let anyone who held a city license grandfather theirs to a state license. Anyway this looks like a pretty neat place to discuss what we go thru in a days work. Looking forward to talking to guy.

Tommy
Posted By: dwilliams35 Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/05/04 04:10 AM
I spent my time as an apprentice and Journeyman in the residential/commercial/industrial world: Now I'm working as a maintenance electrician in a large machine shop: lots of drives, PLC's and loads of control issues as well as new construction and new machine hookups/moves/ etc. Always looking for opportunities to learn more.
Posted By: sparkystudent Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/05/04 02:55 PM
Hello all my name is chad i have been working in the trade since i was a freshman in HS, many moons ago. have stayedb in the trade as it has had a magical pull on me worked for many different companies., some bad some good, all major learning experiences. am currently in minnesot doing the residential minor ind/commercial work specialize in log homes and being a fulltime student Electrician-industrial maint-and telecomm engineer are the 3 degrees currently under way. have accumulated enough hours to hopefully write the journemans this next year.started wiring cat2 structured network and 500 mcm on the same job went to fiber when the tele Co started and now love thhn and ridgid pipe. life does sure change in 12 years will be 30 in 21 daysand pray for many more as good as the last 29. thanks for those here willing to teach us "newbies" [Linked Image]
Posted By: electricwonder Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/05/04 05:05 PM
Hey all,
I ran across the write up in EC&M, and remembered that I haven't been around much, if at all, in the last year or so.
My name is Greg, I'm 27 y/o from New Martinsville West Virginia, and the owner of an electrical contracting business with my dad. We have been Hughes Electric for almost 3 years now, and are doing quite well. We have 2 employees, both talented young men, who are licenced in the state of WV. We do mostly residental and light commercial work, and have been blessed with meny customers spreading the word to their friends... word of mouth is the best advertising there is. Attention to detail and quality work will get you every where. It has done wonders for us.
I have been in this line of work for about 10 years, and my dad has been for over 35 years.
I hope to be around the site more now, there really is lots of useful stuff to be found... Take care all...

Greg, AKA ElectricWonder, AKA DieselCrawler
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/06/04 08:04 PM
Great!!

Welcome aboard (and Welcome back) people!!

Anyone else want to step up??

c'mon ..

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: jayson Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/13/04 12:07 AM
hello all. nice to come here cool site. but a little about myself im from ohio now living in kentucky doing electrical work looking to get licensed..........and eventually go out on my own.
Posted By: electricman2 Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/13/04 12:59 AM
I was once a new member so now it is my turn to say welcome aboard!
Posted By: srscott Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/14/04 12:48 AM
Thanks for the welcome, hello all. Haven't had the time or patience for this in the past, but am trying. We're a small northern Illinois firm specializing in mostly remodeling/ service work. The last few days of reading all these topic postings has really helped me guage my knowledge, squarely in the bottom half! But this site is top drawer, think im hooked.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/14/04 10:35 PM
Nice to hear from you!

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: MattE Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/20/04 02:00 AM
Hey, thankx for the welcome!

My name name is Matt and i'm 20. I live in Ottawa, Canada and am an electrical engineering student. I've always been interested in electrical stuff since i was 6. I came across this site and found some good stuff here.
Posted By: Ralpha494 Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/20/04 02:21 AM
Greetings from SE Wisconsin.
First time writer, long time reader, great site,love the topics. Was scared off for the longest time cuz I didn't know what the heck an ICQ number was, and howcome everybody else on the planet had one.
Posted By: madhorn Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/20/04 01:17 PM
hello my name is joe . i live in danville new hampshire . i have my masters' lic i work in non woven company make dmd {slot paper for motors}been facility manager for the past 5 years i'm 33 years old do about 30 hours aweek of side work . gotta pay for the toys [Linked Image] i'm also the president of an ohrv club danville family ohrv. so i stay pretty busy . i don't work any side work in winter sled season is my favorite time of year.glad i found this site and look foward to posting with you guys. one thing i want to add i'v work for a lot of company's like one other guy had said, and what i learned from the ones i liked to the ones i didn't is you always get more honey from the bees with suger than you would with vinigar. to me it is true latter guys
My name is Michael T.

I was born in a barn...(as per my wife.)

I have no manners nor any plans of obtaining any in the near future.

I work for a Fortune 500 company as an E&I Tech but my paycheck must be refractive as it reflects a different light.

I don't have any friends, nor do I want any.

If you see me being attacked by a bear just go on about your biz or help the bear...as I never need help !!!

I am currently the Safety Leader on my work team and do not joke when it comes to OTJ SAFETY...!!!..."nothing we do is worth getting hurt !!!" is my motto !

I am always right and what I say is always accurate.(nor do I mispell words)

If I can help confuse any of you out there....I will !!!

I am 36 going on 18 !

I had an abusive father...he used to actually whip my butt if I misbehaved as a child....can you believe that ?

I support the troops in our armed forces although I cannot say the same for the strategy they are working under.

I got all A's and B's in school.....("A" you !...sit down and "B" quiet !!!)

All joking aside though, this is a great site and I have met some nice folks in the short time that I have been a member....keep up the good work here ....

Mike Tucker
Posted By: Trumpy Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/21/04 09:23 AM
Good Lord 480,
Another Mike T!.
I think I can work with that!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: andyp95 Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/22/04 01:43 PM
My name is Andy and I joined a couplle of months ago.Have visited the chat room twice in the last 3 weeks but have not posted here until now.I live in Northern New England and have a small (one man) EC business that I started 5 years ago.15 years of working for others before that.2 years ago I started teaching 3rd year apprenticeship classes at our county Vo-tech.Sept. to April.2 nights a week.Grounding,motor and controls (the basics),and fire alarm and communications are the topics that they have me teach to the 3rd year people.On the non electrical side I am married with a teenage daughter and a 8 year old son.Enjoy the people here, keep up the great work.

[This message has been edited by andyp95 (edited 05-22-2004).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/27/04 10:59 PM
Welcome aboard to all the recent additions here!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

To all,

BTW, We have a Looooooonnnnggg Thread going somewhere around here with pictures people have sent in of themselves. If you'd care to add to it send something in to us. At any rate go have a look ... >> here

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 05/31/04 02:53 AM
Welcome to all new members. I haven't been very active lately because I'm in the process of building a house. When I get finished, I hope to be able to spend more time here. There are some fine folks here, so, enjoy it.

Regards,
Doc
Posted By: skingusmc Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 06/03/04 11:59 PM
I am a new member and am learning the trade, and so far have found this sight to be very interesting and informative, and not at all lacking varied opinions and good (lively) discussions.

I am sure that I will be asking questions (or just making a comment) in the future and look forward to the interaction and to learning more and more.

I am located in Southern California (SoCal), I am a retired Marine and have worked in manufacturing, and I look forward to years of "fun & adventure" in this trade. It truly seems to be better than sitting behind a desk or running a "wiget" line all day.

Steve
Posted By: ColonialBld Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 06/04/04 01:43 AM
Hello everyone! My name is Bill also, and I own Colonial Builders which is located in Philadelphia. My Building license allows me to do wiring up to the power box with renovations and additions so I do have some electrical background,about 15 years or so. I enjoy all the trades really but I always been fascinated with electronics. Unfortunately when you have your own business you don't have enough time to do to much of anything else. LOL. Thanks for the welcome aboard everyone.
Posted By: DYNAMITE Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 06/04/04 02:50 AM
Hi everyone. My name is Jim 27 Live in Manitoba, Canada. I Started my own EC Business Last April and still going. We do a lot of new houses some commercial. I like to build stuff. ie. Phase converters. If I find time and money at the same time I want to try and build a Single Axis motion control machine and maybe a Tesla Coil once I have nothing else to do.
Between Fire fighter training and running my own business I hardly find time for anything else.
Nice Site see you around.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 06/04/04 06:44 AM
Wow! Into the 2nd page here! Bill, Jim & Steve, glad to see you guys here! [Linked Image] Kick your feet up on the desk! (I swear, Webmaster Bill won't mind! [Linked Image] ) & enjoy! Look forward to hearing from everyone in the forums & in the chats...

-Randy
Posted By: Trumpy Re: * * Welcome New Members * * - 02/24/05 11:07 PM
Randy,
Kick your feet up on the desk!
I got slapped for just having my elbows on the table!. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums