ECN Forum
Posted By: rizer cw vs. ccw - 04/27/04 06:14 AM
I have been told the way to determine wether a motor is spinning clockwise or counter clockwise is to look at it from the back of the motor ( the opposite side of the output shaft). Is this correct?
I apologize i'm not in the correct section of this forum. I also noticed iI cannot delete it to put it in the "general discussion" section.

[This message has been edited by rizer (edited 04-27-2004).]
Posted By: stamcon Re: cw vs. ccw - 04/27/04 06:40 AM
Rizer, my experience is just the opposite. Look at the end of the shaft for direction(VFSE). If the motor is double shafted, look at the end with the leads(VFLE). Some manufacturers might use the opposite of this, but this is the only way I've seen them.

steve
Posted By: walrus Re: cw vs. ccw - 04/27/04 10:37 PM
The motors I've ordered have been tagged cw or ccw on the shaft end. Its my experience that you look at the shaft from the shaft end to determine rotation. My experience is strickly fractional hp if that makes a difference?
Posted By: maintenanceguy Re: cw vs. ccw - 04/27/04 11:18 PM
rotation is looking at the shaft end unless otherwie noted. I've never seen it otherwise noted.
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: cw vs. ccw - 04/27/04 11:22 PM
shaft end for electric motors otherwise noted or specal installaments.

btw most engines [ gas and diesel engines] are set up by looking at the flywheel arrangement [ most engine run ccw set up but few do run in cw so just like electric motor just watch out that all ]

merci , marc
Posted By: rizer Re: cw vs. ccw - 04/28/04 01:44 AM
thanks for the answer and i'm glad i asked. the superintendant and the general formen both said the exact opposite .but, i'd heard different.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: cw vs. ccw - 04/28/04 03:05 AM
I believe NEMA Standard MG1 used to define rotation of small- and medium-sized motors and generators as “viewed [ODE] opposite the drive end” but MG1-2002(condensed) seems quiet on the matter. IIRC, NEMA standards never defined a particular rotation for a given phase sequence.
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: cw vs. ccw - 04/28/04 03:21 AM
...Rizer, if you're still "fuzzy" about this, call an electrical motor repair shop,..where they do rebuilding,rewinding,servicing, etc,..and ask one of the techs there... [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ
Posted By: rizer Re: cw vs. ccw - 04/28/04 09:00 AM
thanks guys I think that about covers it! I appreciate it.
© ECN Electrical Forums