ECN Forum
Posted By: CharlieK Evans Benders - 04/26/04 11:59 PM
Has anyone on this board used or priced one. I have alarge emt job coming up and I was curious about this tool.
Posted By: nesparky Re: Evans Benders - 04/27/04 04:46 AM
quite a while ago I called to get pricing. If i remember correctly the price was around $1500.00 plus shipping. I do not know anyone who has used one but that seemed a bit too much to experiment with.
They do have a video on thier website but it took too lond on my 56K modem to get.
Posted By: Joey D Re: Evans Benders - 04/27/04 10:58 PM
Whats the web site or where can I see one?
Posted By: CharlieK Re: Evans Benders - 04/27/04 11:10 PM
Joey, the website is WWW.Evansbenders.com

I called the 800 number and got a quote of 1250.00. Yes it is a lot of money for something I have never seen.
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Evans Benders - 04/27/04 11:18 PM
i did see in 2 or 3 electrical magazines and i did not get chance to find out until today and learn something new with this one but i am little fabbagashed shocked with the price.. [Linked Image]

but it look very nice espcally with jobs where you have to make alot of bends there. i will get more info in short while, so i can get more idea with it

merci, marc
Posted By: CRW Re: Evans Benders - 04/28/04 03:35 AM
I looks cool, but then again, most people can learn to bend EMT just fine with a hand bender, especially in 1/2" and 3/4".
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Evans Benders - 04/28/04 05:16 AM
Very nice indeed... the movie makes a good sell... until the price comes up! [Linked Image] I think I'll stick with my Ideal benders [Linked Image] Besides... It just does offsets & kicks.... You'd STILL have to keep a hand bender around! For $1500, there better be some 90's & someone to do my attic work in that box as well! [Linked Image]

-Randy
Posted By: iwire Re: Evans Benders - 04/28/04 08:55 AM
It only does offsets, saddles and kicks.

Offsets are limited to 25"

1/2" 3/4" 1" EMT or 1/2" & 3/4" IMC

So now you either have to drag this with you or walk back and forth to it, along with your hand bender for 90s.

If I was going to part with $1,500.00 for a conduit bender it would be for something like this.

[Linked Image from mytoolstore.com]

This is a ratchet bender so bending 1 1/4" is no problem.

Bends 1/2" to 1 1/4" EMT, Rigid/IMC, Schedule 40 Steel Pipe and Aluminum Conduit.

Cost $1,543.00 or if you do not have the need for bending rigid you can get it for $1,110.00. You can get the rigid shoes later if you need them.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/roth/bend04.html

Other companies make similar benders, Greenlee makes one like this for about $4000. ;

Bob
Posted By: CRW Re: Evans Benders - 04/28/04 11:47 AM
Definitely part of the appeal is that the bender does both bends at the same time, with both shoes fixed on the same plane, eliminating the chance for dog-legs. It's a clever idea, for sure. With every other mechanical or hydraulic bender, you have to flip the pipe over and slide it through for the 2nd bend. Still, with practice and a "no-dog" level, one can get good at bending all sizes of EMT and rigid. I think the opening sequence of that video, with the big junk pile of 1/2" conduit is sort of an exaggeration--most electricians with a little exeperience can learn to bend pipe consistently on a hand bender or mechanical bender.
© ECN Electrical Forums