ECN Forum
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Holesaws. - 04/25/04 01:18 PM
What are all you resi.guys using to drill Hardi-Plank siding?

The 2 different name brand holesaws I've been using, (Bi-Metal)are only good for a couple holes.

Will carbide holesaws hold up? Does anyone have a good source to buy them or an alternative?

Russell
Posted By: Joey D Re: Holesaws. - 04/25/04 02:25 PM
What is Hardi-Plank siding?
Posted By: walrus Re: Holesaws. - 04/25/04 05:20 PM
I'm guessing its that concrete siding that looks kinda like wood when painted?
Posted By: hbiss Re: Holesaws. - 04/25/04 05:56 PM
Cement board siding. That stuff has been around in many incarnations since the 50's so it's not new. The older stuff used to contain asbestos until about 1960 so be careful.

Yes, you want to use a hole saw with carbide grit rather than teeth. Will last a lot longer.

-Hal

[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited 04-25-2004).]
Posted By: Roger Re: Holesaws. - 04/25/04 06:59 PM
Hello Russell, hope all is well.

We use dry cut core bits for cutting composites. I don't know if anyone around your area carries these, but you can call "B and K Tools" in Asheville and tell them what you're after, they have a good size selection.

These bits can be used with 1/2" drill motors or side grinders with the appropriate adapters.

Roger
Posted By: Joey D Re: Holesaws. - 04/25/04 09:09 PM
Would asbestos shingles be another form of this or acually what he is refering to? They are very thin maybe 1/4-3/8 inch. These were big in my area it seems and alot of times I find them under new siding. I use a roto zip and a resperator and a tile bit
Posted By: hbiss Re: Holesaws. - 04/25/04 10:49 PM
Yes, they used to be called asbestos shingles and still are by some. They were the vinyl siding of the 40's and 50's. These were 1/8" thick and in the 60's 1/4" thick ones were introduced. I don't believe any of the 1/4" thick ones ever contained any asbestos though for many years the 1/8" ones did. Both styles are still available today for replacement use though obviously none contain asbestos.

The 1/4" ones were really not bad and will last forever with little maintenance. James Hardie and others made the 1/4" thick style available in long lengths rather than individual shingles. Same thing, new twist. I think this was introduced and became popular on the west coast because of their fire resistant properties and is now becoming popular throughout the US as a vinyl upgrade.

-Hal
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Holesaws. - 04/26/04 01:32 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas.

This is not the old asbestos siding,but is the cement board,Hardi-plank,or Hardi board,as Hal said.

It's becoming very popular on new homes and some commercial bldgs. here. I can be had with a "wood grain" look,and is hard to tell from wood until you drill it. I just haven't found a good way of dealing with it yet.

Thanks for the heads up Roger.And yes all is well.

Russell
Posted By: nesparky Re: Holesaws. - 04/26/04 02:00 AM
Hardy plank is becoming more popular around here. I have found the carbide tipped hole saws drilled at slow speed work well and one saw lasted thru a 150 unit apartment complex and still have it.( avg of 4 holes/apt.) One of my JE tried to drill as fast as possible and went thru a hole saw a day till I made him slow the drill down when drilling.
Good luck
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Holesaws. - 04/26/04 02:08 AM
Try using a roto zip with a tile bit in it. The tile bits are a bit pricey but they cut that hardyplank like it's made out of butter.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Holesaws. - 04/26/04 05:15 PM
This is not the old asbestos siding,but is the cement board,Hardi-plank,or Hardi board

They were called asbestos shingles because back then the only siding was wood and brick. Asbestos cement board siding provided fire resistant properties similar to brick at less cost. I think you actually got a reduction in your fire insurance if you had brick or asbestos shingles.

The asbestos in the cement mix was eliminated when asbestos "fell out of vogue". I think it was replaced with saw dust and this is the composition that is still used today by Hardi-Plank so it is really nothing new and the same as the old asbestos siding without the asbestos.

-Hal
Posted By: cavo148 Re: Holesaws. - 04/27/04 12:12 AM
You can find grit type cutting holesaws at tile and mason supply stores also.

[This message has been edited by cavo148 (edited 04-26-2004).]
Posted By: Joey D Re: Holesaws. - 04/27/04 12:15 AM
I have used Master Grit hole saws in the past, bought from the supply house
Posted By: arseegee Re: Holesaws. - 04/27/04 12:18 AM
We do a good many houses with hardy plank and i found the 4" grinder with a masonry cut off wheel does the best for me. Especially for cutting in recepts. Dont waste your time with roto zip tile bits, you'll burn up two per hole.
Posted By: Sparkeee32 Re: Holesaws. - 04/27/04 02:24 AM
We get really really good results with the "Gold painted" Lenox carbide tipped holesaws. They're awesome, and last forever, haven't tried the "rem-grit" style, but another idea, is GreenLee has a specific hole saw just for this stuff. Check out they're website, and see what they offer in that line of things. My personal preference in the Lenox Gold, Carbide tipped hole saw. We use the 3 5/8ths for 3/0 cut ins. Take care and hope it helps! Brian
Posted By: txsparky Re: Holesaws. - 04/27/04 03:00 AM
I find it a whole lot easier to install your boxes just as you would do on "brick construction or drywall and let the other trades (carpenters, drywallers, etc.,) do the cutting.They have the tools necessary for the material involved and no expense is involved for the electrical contractor in purchasing specialty tools.
Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Holesaws. - 04/27/04 03:28 AM
Thanks again everyone. This gives me some good ideas.

Russell
Posted By: caselec Re: Holesaws. - 04/27/04 03:39 AM
Sparkeee24

Do you have any info on the “Lenox Gold” hole saws? I haven’t seen them in any of my suppliers and I just looked at the Lenox web site and don’t see them. The only Lenox carbide hole saws I have seen and used are blue. Maybe I’m looking right at them but can’t see them?

Curt
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Holesaws. - 04/27/04 05:41 PM
Here’s Lenox’ website, but not a lot of info…
www.lenoxsaw.com www.lenoxsaw.com/holesaw.htm www.lenoxsaw.com/ctholsaw.htm
© ECN Electrical Forums