ECN Forum
I am just getting into the constr. electrician trade and would like a veteran's view on essential tools and "Nice to have tools". Reason: I currently have a cleaning business that services an account that sells tools to this trade. (wholesale or below for me) Thanks Paul
Jeez, the list could go on forever.

One essential tool (for me at least) is a battery powered drill. Keep in mind that you might be wearing this on your hip all day before purchasing. My own drill is 12 volt & I don't want to drag around anything heavier.
Paul,

My #1 All-time favorite tool is a proximity tester (Volt-Tick, etc.) You can test for power just by holding it near a wire.

#2 is my Circuit Tracer. Lets you trace a circuit in different ways, including within floors and walls and underground.

#3 would be my cordless drill.

#4 Studfinder

#5 Rotozip

Wish List: - Laser Level

[Linked Image]
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 08-22-2001).]
Paul;
think 3 basic catagories;
1) hand tools
2) meters and testers
3) power tools

1) get a few catalogs, or even ask a supply house for thier best sellers, sometimes you'll see a fully stocked tool belt.
Get a comfortable tool belt, as you will most likley assume the position of a pack mule in heat after 6-8 hrs a day should you not.
2) a volt-tic, VOM, amprobe, megger, impedance tester, circuit tracer, not necessarilly in that order
3)big drill-right angle , sawzall, unibits, hole punch kits,just to start off......this is the biggest list & never really ends
[Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums