ECN Forum
Posted By: cinkerf T-5 fluorescent light fixture - 01/10/01 01:23 PM
Is anyone familiar with a T-5 flourescent light fixture. We usually install light fixtures with T-8 lamps and electronic ballast.
(Frank) cinkerf
Posted By: Alan McNeil Re: T-5 fluorescent light fixture - 01/10/01 10:56 PM
Originally posted by cinkerf:
Is anyone familiar with a T-5 flourescent light fixture. We usually install light fixtures with T-8 lamps and electronic ballast.
(Frank) cinkerf

must be a small lamp, they measure them by 8ths of an inch......T 12 would be 12 8ths so a T 12 is 1.5 inches in diameter.
a T 8 lamp would be 1 inch in diameter.
given that, a T 5 would be 5/8 of an inch in diameter, thats about all I know. you can get the information in a lamp catalog I think , sorry I can't give you better information.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: T-5 fluorescent light fixture - 01/11/01 12:44 AM
Frank,

I usually see them in undercounter lighting in short lengths. Say to 12" to 24" I take it that's not what you mean though. I have not seen any Ceiling type fixtures with these lamps.
Posted By: cinkerf Re: T-5 fluorescent light fixture - 01/11/01 02:22 PM
Bill,
The fourth floor of our City Hall Building will be renovated this year. Our Engineering Dept. Project Manager intends to use new "energy efficient T-5 lamp fluorescent fixtures in keeping with Act 29-General Energy Savings Program" (2'x4'lay in type). My opinion on these fixtures is requested. We normally use the T-8 type. I'm attempting to gather information on the T-5 type so I can be more familiar with it.

(Frank) cinkerf
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: T-5 fluorescent light fixture - 01/11/01 08:24 PM
I figured that you were referring to a fixture of that type. I have not seen any as yet. I wonder what it's like handling a 4 foot T-5 Bulb? [Linked Image] I know people that can't even seem to handle the T-12s without breaking some when they relamp. They must make the glass a little thicker for more strength. (I would Hope)

Bill
Posted By: gpowellpec Re: T-5 fluorescent light fixture - 01/11/01 08:44 PM
I've seen T-5 lamps used with retrofit kits for energy savings. They replace the 2 ballasts and 4 lamps in a normal fixture with one ballast, 3 T-5's and a silver reflector shield.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: T-5 fluorescent light fixture - 01/11/01 10:14 PM
I have used T-5 lamps in a multitude of undercounter fixtures, and in some troffer fixtures. These in the T-Bar fixtures are more known as PL type lamps. They come in T-5 and T-3 configurations.

The ballasts are typically electronic [High Frequency - High Power Factor], but can also be the typical magnetic [reactor core] ballast, used with electronic circuitry to form what is called a Hybrid type ballast.

Lots of compact fluorescent lamps are T-3 size.

It, of course, seems somewhat small- however when I first saw T-8 lamps being used in Commercial projects [circa 1993], it was very strange. Now it is strange to see a T-12 lamp anywhere [Linked Image] When I see one, they just look odd!

See everyone in a week, or so.

Scott.
© ECN Electrical Forums