ECN Forum
Posted By: sparkync scrap copper prices - 04/09/04 03:39 PM
I'm cleaning out some of my electrical wire and was just wondering what some of the different areas are buying scrap copper for? Thanks Steve...
Posted By: samster Re: scrap copper prices - 04/09/04 04:12 PM
Steve,
Wednesday I got $.85/LB. for unstirred wire, #6 THHN to some 3/O. This time last year if I remember correctly I got $.28 for the same thing.

Sam
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: scrap copper prices - 04/09/04 04:41 PM
I've heard that its over a buck here.
Posted By: sparkync Re: scrap copper prices - 04/09/04 05:05 PM
Any easy way to clean copper. I guess a 50 gallon barrel and burn it off, huh? Stripping it takes to much time if you got a lot, unless you got a lot of time to spare, and looking at the "long term" benefits [Linked Image]
Posted By: CTwireman Re: scrap copper prices - 04/09/04 07:56 PM
sparkync,

DO NOT burn the isulation off the wire. Doing so destroys the copper (making it totally worthless), and burning PVC insulation releases extremely hazardous chemicals into the air.

The scrap wire processors have special equipment to strip wire. The price of even insulated scrap is up so high now that I wouldn't waste my time trying to strip it, unless it's big stuff.

Peter
Posted By: chi spark Re: scrap copper prices - 04/09/04 11:12 PM
Chicago- copper: .90/ lb unstripped 300 MCM, same for copper pipe. Aluminum: .45/lb, Stainless: .40/ lb. Steel: 125.00/ ton clean. Watch your materials, folks
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: scrap copper prices - 04/11/04 04:56 AM
I just recycled 333Lbs of old feeders I had sitting on the side of my house.. Copper Insulated... $290.00 Woohooo! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums