ECN Forum
Posted By: Edward when do we need to derate conductor ampacity? - 03/31/04 05:25 AM
NEC states if you have more than three current carrying conductors in a raceway you must derate the allowable ampacity of the conductors.
Does this apply to current carrying conductors for continuous loads?

Edward
It applies to all conductors.

And not just in raceways, cables too.
It applies to all conductors

Almost.

Exceptions to this would be in auxiliary metallic gutters 366.6(A) or in metallic wireways 376.22, where up to 30 conductors in a cross section do not need to be derated.
..... and control wiring.

had to throw that in. Had a somebody once tell me my 2" conduit full of #14 control wires would not pass code requirements.

Out came the "BOOK"!!!!
OK Scott caught me, kind of, derating still applies to these conductors at 30 instead of 3 [Linked Image], but CDN can you show a code reference for your statement?

Embarrassed Bob. [Linked Image]
..Also no derating for conductors in pipe nipples not EXCEEDING 24"
When will I learn to not use terms like "never" and "always" when talking about the NEC. [Linked Image]

And CDN I see the exception you must have been talking about.

OK [Linked Image]

Exception No. 1: Where conductors of different systems, as provided in 300.3, are installed in a common raceway or cable, the derating factors shown in Table 310.15(B)(2)(a) shall apply to the number of power and lighting conductors only (Articles 210, 215, 220, and 230).

Exception No. 2: For conductors installed in cable trays, the provisions of 392.11 shall apply.

Exception No. 3: Derating factors shall not apply to conductors in nipples having a length not exceeding 600 mm (24 in.).

Exception No. 4: Derating factors shall not apply to underground conductors entering or leaving an outdoor trench if those conductors have physical protection in the form of rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, or rigid nonmetallic conduit having a length not exceeding 3.05 m (10 ft) and if the number of conductors does not exceed four.

Exception No. 5: Adjustment factors shall not apply to Type AC cable or to Type MC cable without an overall outer jacket under the following conditions:

(a)Each cable has not more than three current-carrying conductors.

(b)The conductors are 12 AWG copper.

(c)Not more than 20 current-carrying conductors are bundled, stacked, or supported on “bridle rings.”

A 60 percent adjustment factor shall be applied where the current-carrying conductors in these cables that are stacked or bundled longer than 600 mm (24 in.) without maintaining spacing exceeds 20.

You guys are tough! [Linked Image]

Thats good, keep it up. [Linked Image]

Still Embarrassed, Bob
© ECN Electrical Forums