ECN Forum
Posted By: seattleman non fusable disco question - 03/28/04 05:48 PM
What applications would you use a non fusable disco.

Are these used for all loads except motor loads where separate overload protection is required?

For example a FourPak of heavy duty welders.

Any other examples where nonfusable disco's are commonly used? And could a fusuable disco be used for any load that currently uses a nonfusable disco.
Posted By: iwire Re: non fusable disco question - 03/28/04 06:02 PM
Welcome seattleman.

You can use a non-fusible disconnect on any load that the correct overcurrent protection is already installed.

Say a HVAC unit that has the correct overcurrent protection at the panel, why spend extra money on a fusible switch and fuses, this can be a lot of money when it is a large 600 volt rated switch and fuses.

You may use a fusible switch any place that a non-fusible switch is presently installed and you can even get "non-fuse" 'fuses' for the switch.

These are UL listed devices to make a fusible switch non fused.

Bob
Posted By: seattleman Re: non fusable disco question - 03/28/04 07:02 PM
thanks Bob

I just looked back a square d catalog. one of the few that actually lists prices. And i see that a fusable 600v 100amp is $792 versus a nonfusable at $522. Thats a good savings.-thanks
Posted By: Ron Re: non fusable disco question - 03/29/04 12:20 AM
One additional note to Bob's.
A non-fusible disconnect generally has a withstand value (capability to resist explosion during a fault) of 5k and sometimes 10k, depending on the manufacturer. A fusible disc., with fuses, has a withstand/AIC generally of the fuse AIC rating.
So just check fault current available before selecting.
Posted By: Merlin Re: non fusable disco question - 03/29/04 02:57 AM
seattleman

We use many non-fusible disco's at the quarry where I work. We use them as a disconnect between every motor and starter. All of our fuses are located with with the starters in one cabinet. Therefore we have seperate disconnects that we can lock out to work on that piece of equipment. It seems to work good.

It also makes it simple to reverse rotation on a motor ( 3 phase ) without exposing yourself to a great danger.
Posted By: iwire Re: non fusable disco question - 03/29/04 09:07 AM
Thank you Ron, that is an important aspect to consider, I am glad you pointed that out. [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: Ron Re: non fusable disco question - 03/30/04 01:52 AM
The withstand rating is the reason I end up having to have non-fusable discos replaced after they have been installed by well meaning folks.
© ECN Electrical Forums