ECN Forum
Posted By: master66 Electrical Plan Review Exam - 02/01/04 01:57 AM
I'm considering taking the Electrical Plan Review Exam. I know that some of you have this certification.

Any comments...suggestions?
How hard of a test is it?
What is the test like?
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Electrical Plan Review Exam - 02/01/04 03:00 AM
IAEI or ICC?
Posted By: George Corron Re: Electrical Plan Review Exam - 02/01/04 06:04 AM
Master66,
I'd like ta hep ya, but boy it's been a long time. I did not know the study guides were available when I took it, but they are available from the IAEI now.

If you've passed the Electrical General, you've already passed the toughest test, but using the study guide would be quite beneficial I'm sure.

I think it's different now, but when I took mine you had to take them in sequence, and they would only let you take 2 per session, so it was a few years in between tests anyway.

I took 'em just because, who the heck knew I'd ever actually use them???????

Good luck.
Posted By: master66 Re: Electrical Plan Review Exam - 02/01/04 11:44 PM
Thanks George,

I too am thinking of taking it just to see if I can pass. I did the same with the other two. I didn't expect to pass the first time. I just wanted to see what it was like so I could be ready for the next try.

I printed out some info that was available from Experior. The sample questions don't look to bad. I do need to do some studying.

Does anyone else here have the plan review certification?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Electrical Plan Review Exam - 02/02/04 04:37 AM
Master66:
I took all three tests (ICS,HHS,Plan Review) in one shot. Back in '92. Wasn't to bad.

Plan Review probably was the lesser of the evils, but heck it's been 12 years, can't really say much on the details,

John
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Electrical Plan Review Exam - 02/02/04 04:32 PM
[Linked Image]

This test was much harder than the inspector tests. Some of the things that frustrated me were terms like "service feeder". What exactly is a service feeder? It sure isn't in the NEC!!!

The test included some fault current calculations, a lot of obscure stuff out of 517 and 500, alot out of 220 and 230, and a lot of math.

Good luck, and let us know how you do! [Linked Image]
Posted By: master66 Re: Electrical Plan Review Exam - 02/03/04 01:37 AM
Ryan,

How long ago did you take the test?

Was it through Experior?
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Electrical Plan Review Exam - 02/03/04 02:10 PM
I took it in November of last year, and no it was not through experior.
Posted By: earlydean Re: Electrical Plan Review Exam - 02/03/04 02:33 PM
I took all three one day years ago (93?, 94?)at Yale (pencil and paper). I took other trade exams through NCPCCI in Warwick, RI (computer touch screen). No sweat, just use the practice books offered by IAEI. Get in the test taking mode, concentrate, focus, you will pass every time.
Earl
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Electrical Plan Review Exam - 02/03/04 03:43 PM
I can remember that the IAEI 2C examination for Plans Reviewer was not easy.

You should get the Study Guide from IAEI. If I could locate the certificate in my archives, I can reaffirm that the date was December 1979 when I too passed the 3 examinations.

After that, most of the the other groups, and some now, gone gave a reciprocal certificate.

I believe we need these tests to be sure that we at least have someone who knows the code.

Experience in the field, well .... some don't have that and often get themselves into a corner!
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Electrical Plan Review Exam - 02/05/04 01:08 AM
Gentlemen;

Along with reading this thread and having been involved with Permit Applications / submitting Planset / Misc. trips to Building Departments, would like to inquire to some of the local DBS in my area, as to perform (possibly) Part-Time Planchecking services.

As several here are involved with this, how does a Clown such as I go about doing what is needed?

Feel free to contact me directly if preferred, or just reply to this thread.

BTW, my E-mail address (phonetically) is:

adst at pacbell dot net
(just remove the spaces, and change "at" to "@", and "dot" to ".").

Any Info. is helpful! [Linked Image]

TIA!

Scott35
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Electrical Plan Review Exam - 02/14/04 05:57 AM
Just wanted to see "Watts-Up" [Linked Image] regarding my above post.

TIA!

Scott35
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Electrical Plan Review Exam - 02/14/04 12:02 PM
I took all three in December of 2002 to see how I would do. Experior lets you schedule two in one day and the third test for another day. I took them 1&2 one day, and the 3rd the next. Plan review is considerably harder than the 1st two. The study guide if nothing else gives you an idea of the style of the questions and is of great help for anyone who is not a genius in finding info in the NEC. the testing center I took the test at sits you in a booth with a desk, with a computerized testing format - which is very easy and I liked. Also one note: the entire test is filmed, by a camera right over your head, if you roll your chair so you are out of the cameras sight you fail. You have to ask the procter to go to the bathroom if you need to, so he can pause the camera. Remember you have 2 hours to take this test. In studying pay particular attention to Art 220 as that is most peoples weakness.
Good Luck

Pierre
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Electrical Plan Review Exam - 02/15/04 10:40 PM
In addition to Pierre's great post, I would add that I had trouble with articles 500 and 517. Perhaps it is just me, but it seems to me that if you don't work with those articles on a regular basis, it almost seems as though they are written in Greek [Linked Image]

Again, good luck [Linked Image]
Posted By: SJT Re: Electrical Plan Review Exam - 02/17/04 07:55 PM
I had taken all 3 exams over the course of 3 years. I took the General first, then plan review, and I saved my favorite for last, one and two family dwellings. I can say, study hard like you would be taking a masters. They seem to throw questions at you that are not in any order, unlike the study guides. If you study, you'll find it's a good test.
Best of luck
© ECN Electrical Forums