ECN Forum
Posted By: mvrandazzo Taping Wirenuts - 01/28/04 02:21 PM
Just curious, how many of you guys and gals use electrical tape on a wirenut? In my opinion I never use it. My theroy is if the wirenut is correctly installed it will not have a need for tape. If there are bare wires exposed then you have the wrong wirenut. If you don't want the wirenut to come off in the box then you did not install it correctly. Maybe it is just me but I dispise going into a box to troubleshoot and find all the connections taped. URGH!
Maybe I'm wrong, it won't be the first time.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Taping Wirenuts - 01/28/04 03:01 PM
I tape all my wirenuts. However I also make sure that I've used the proper splice-cap before wrapping.

I double-check that no loose strands are poking out the bottom, that there's no exposed conductor and then give the nut a slight tug to see if the nut is gripping or if it will slip off.

Then I apply tape. The reason for the tape is just that it's THAT little bit more extra security and also keeps dust and dirt from getting into the connection.

Oh...and I'm a pre-twister!! [Linked Image]
Posted By: earlydean Re: Taping Wirenuts - 01/28/04 04:49 PM
IMO taping wirenuts is a hold-over from the old Knob & Tube days when all splices were twisted, soldered and taped. The old-timers would tell the young pups they had to tape to do a good job. Us young pups became the old-timers, and the idea is still there. Wirenuts today will do the job just as fine, with or without tape. If you're worried about vibration, dirt, or something, go ahead and tape for your peace of mind. But maybe, your enclosure or termination device is not really appropriate for the purpose or conditions of use. Maybe????
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Taping Wirenuts - 01/28/04 05:41 PM
Do it right and no need for tape.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Taping Wirenuts - 01/28/04 06:02 PM
I've never taped a wire nut, as I don't see the logic in doing so. I have, however, troubleshot or added to circuits with taped wire nuts, and it is miserable getting the sticky black goo all over your hands.
Posted By: earlydean Re: Taping Wirenuts - 01/28/04 06:40 PM
Poor Ryan, got his hands dirty.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Taping Wirenuts - 01/28/04 07:16 PM
If you've ever worked with that very old BX cable - the one with the tar-impregnated cloth & rubber insulation over the conductors, you get used to that black goo getting all over your hands.

What's a little adhesive to add to the concoction?
Posted By: LK Re: Taping Wirenuts - 01/28/04 07:53 PM
Sven,
You brought up a good point, on when you might use tape. If you are working on an older system that used rubber or cloth covered insulation, then use all the tape required to make it a safe repair. As noted most of the old timers would say "Don't forget to tape it up good", and with good reason.
Posted By: mvrandazzo Re: Taping Wirenuts - 01/28/04 09:02 PM
Sven, LK,
Agreed. Use tape where necessary, of course. In the case of old BX and K&T a sleeve is almost a must. In the case of regual NMC I have seen poor splices using a wirenut AND tape and the wirenut still falls off. Connecting stranded and solid also requires a bit of re-assurance. But I've talked to electricians all the time that always do it and I can't get a good explaination as to why other than that is what I was taught. Thanks for the feedback.

Blessings, Mark
Posted By: iwire Re: Taping Wirenuts - 01/28/04 09:16 PM
Do it right and no need for tape.

I tell guys working under me under me "Tape is for Homeowners"

Meaning if you are an electrician you better not need tape hold the wire nut on or to cover loose strands of conductor.

When I was in trade school the instructor, after checking the work on our project board would grab the wire nuts with lineman pliers and try to rip them off or at least get a conductor to pull out.

You learn quick to make a good splice. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Taping Wirenuts - 01/28/04 09:23 PM
Poor Ryan, got his hands dirty.

That was pretty good Earl [Linked Image]
Posted By: Edward Re: Taping Wirenuts - 01/28/04 09:24 PM
I do not use tape or pretwist.
Use the WING TWIST from IDEAL and your connections will be good for a very long time.

Edward

http://www.idealindustries.com/wt/TwistOnWireConnectors.nsf
Posted By: electricman2 Re: Taping Wirenuts - 01/28/04 09:45 PM
No tape except on sta-kon joints which I use quite often. Take up less space than wire nuts and more secure IMO.
Posted By: sparky Re: Taping Wirenuts - 01/28/04 09:55 PM
would you guys tape wirenuts in a motor pighead?
Posted By: iwire Re: Taping Wirenuts - 01/28/04 09:59 PM
I never have and I have had no problems.

I crank them on hard with my pliers they will not fall off.
Posted By: walrus Re: Taping Wirenuts - 01/28/04 10:07 PM
I generally tape wire nuts that are used on power connections if motors are in the cabinet. Why vibration, plus on a gas pump there are at times way more splices than the junction box can easily contain(don't blame me I don't size the equipment supplied by a manufacturer) so they get jammed in there. When you come back to troubleshoot its helpful if stuff doesn't fall apart when pulling it back out.
Posted By: Sandro Re: Taping Wirenuts - 01/28/04 11:44 PM
I use tape only when making 600V connections. I agree, it's not entirely necessary, but, I feel its good practice anyway.

Sandro.
Posted By: Matt Barrett Re: Taping Wirenuts - 01/29/04 12:36 AM
I thought you only needed to tape wire nuts when you bury the box [Linked Image]

J/K ...I know.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Taping Wirenuts - 01/29/04 01:59 AM
The tape keeps the electricity from leaking out.
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Taping Wirenuts - 01/29/04 03:26 AM
..We use the Ideal,.."Tan" nutz, and although we DO pretwist,we don't tape..The only thing I want taped is the device, if it's in a metal box,..otherwise, my wire nutz are "tapeless'...
AR
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Taping Wirenuts - 01/29/04 03:42 AM
I don't tape wirenuts but one thing I do when making up exterior boxes, which I thought up myself, is I always push the wirenuts into the box right side up so they won't accumulate moisture. After opening a lot of old exterior boxes and seeing a water line inside a half inch deep, I think cutting a small weep slot in the bottom of the cover gasket is a good idea too.
Posted By: C-H Re: Taping Wirenuts - 01/29/04 06:09 PM
Can somebody explain how these work? "No junction box needed" I took it to be a joke at first:
http://www.labsafety.com/store/product_group.asp?dept_id=1211&parent_id=224
Posted By: Mean Gene Re: Taping Wirenuts - 01/29/04 07:28 PM
I also only use the Wing Twist from Ideal. I pre-twist stranded, but not solid. I twist them until my wrist cracks, like sparky66wv said many moons ago, and tug on each wire afterwards. No tape here. [Linked Image]

As far as the King Safety Direct Burial Wire Connectors are concerned, they must be for south of the border usage!!! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Mean Gene (edited 01-29-2004).]
Posted By: C-H Re: Taping Wirenuts - 02/25/04 04:46 PM
I came across an FAQ for the "no junction box needed"-connectors.
http://www.kingsafety.com/faq.html#Q5

What kind of wire could you use with these?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Taping Wirenuts - 02/25/04 05:04 PM
C-H,

These connectors are for low Voltage applications (max 30v) such as irrigation control wiring and low voltage pathway lighting. I don't know the specific wire terminology.

Bill
Posted By: C-H Re: Taping Wirenuts - 02/25/04 06:01 PM
Bill,

the specification says 600V. [Linked Image]
http://www.kingsafety.com/dryconn_db_blue_spec.pdf
Posted By: big guy Re: Taping Wirenuts - 02/25/04 10:35 PM
i don't tape wire nuts but on stranded wire i do tape the wire its self about a inch back with two raps of tape from the nut. I do this becase of stranded be so easy to pull apart even if you use ideal twister. I know some of you have got into a 12x12 box to trouble shoot
and fire starts to fly. Taping the wire's back a inch or two it would help.
I make the people on my jobs do this and twist solid wire also.Nobody thinks of the poor S>O>B that has to come in later on to fix something. Big guy
Posted By: earlydean Re: Taping Wirenuts - 02/26/04 02:01 PM
I do tape the connections I make in motor "peckerheads". I know there is no reason why I should, but old habits die slowly. Many of the old motors have split bolt connections, which require taping. These are always a mess when we send the motors out for maintenance. But, they pay me the big bucks for getting my hands dirty. (or they used to)

Earl
Posted By: Joey D Re: Taping Wirenuts - 02/26/04 10:58 PM
I tape all splices back 2inches from the wire nut. I always pre twist and have a trick when splicing solid to stranded. I would say but it's to hard to say very easy to show.
Posted By: SJT Re: Taping Wirenuts - 02/27/04 07:52 PM
I've gotten into the habit of taping the receptacle or switch (making sure the terminals are covered) with scotch 88, when ever I use a Gem box with madison clips. I try to make the clips as tight as possible, but I wouldn't want one of those clips to come in contact with the device. Just a habit.
© ECN Electrical Forums