ECN Forum
Posted By: mj lens cover for shower lights? - 01/22/04 11:30 PM
any exceptions for not having the lens cover for a fixture located over a shower ?is this per (nec) or (ahj) rule ?
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: lens cover for shower lights? - 01/22/04 11:42 PM
410.4(A) addresses luminiares in wet and damp locations. The location that you describe is a damp one, and therefore the fixture must be listed as such. The only way (that I'm aware of) to obtain this is with a shower lens.

[This message has been edited by Ryan_J (edited 01-22-2004).]
Posted By: mj Re: lens cover for shower lights? - 01/23/04 12:01 AM
Ryan, a saleman came to my office today with a fixture...(progress lighting) he stated the fixture is listed for wet locations (no cover required) I have always installed covers over shower lights.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: lens cover for shower lights? - 01/23/04 01:49 AM
Thats interesting.

I would ask to see the UL information on it before I put one up. Oh, by the way, it would be a good idea to keep some copies of that info on the job and in the truck, because I'm sure your inspector will ask for it.....I would! [Linked Image]

Let us know what you find, would you?
Posted By: russ m Re: lens cover for shower lights? - 01/23/04 04:51 AM
I looked up a few reccessed light fixtures on line, and all the ones I found were approved for damp areas with out a cover.
Before I found this I was of the opinion that outdoor reccessed lights had to have closed covers. I've changed my mind.
I think the shower could be a wet location if the ceiling/light fixture is low enough to have water splash into it. Then according to 410.4 it would require a closed trim
Posted By: earlydean Re: lens cover for shower lights? - 01/23/04 08:59 PM
I would look at the configuration of the shower. Many of the smaller shower stalls will have splashing water directed into any fixture inside the stall. I would require a watertight fixture cover for these conditions of use. If, however, there is no way for water to be directed into the fixture, then a fixture approved for damp locations would be approved.
Posted By: rizer Re: lens cover for shower lights? - 01/23/04 10:37 PM
c'mon guys any shower should have a lense that is water tight. all it would take is one fool tossing water in the air to create an electrifiing experience.
© ECN Electrical Forums