ECN Forum
I was wondering if there are any online or mail order discount suppliers? For smaller expensive items like dimmers or maybe can trims. I tried looking a few times but after signing up to get in the prices were the same.

After all I spend at the supply house I am lucky if I don't pay 1.5X the Home Depot or Menards price. I don't like going to those places because they are so unreliable for what they have in stock.

Tom
Posted By: JBD Re: Any online or mail order discount suppliers? - 01/19/04 02:38 PM
Have you ever sat down with your supply house and told them what price you want to pay?

I have never seen a supplier that was not willing to make some type of price adjustment. This may take a few meetings, think of how long it takes to buy a new car. Remember to allow for a slight price difference for any added value.

Most manufacturers force supply houses to setup pricing arrangements with contractors, but the big box stores don't have to. In our area Square D and Pass & Symour are the worst offenders.
Posted By: LK Re: Any online or mail order discount suppliers? - 01/19/04 08:06 PM
Our Accountant just asked why we are buying material at the Box store, he told us we were paying a wopping 2 to 3 times the price for most of the material items, as it turns out only the PVC and wire, along with a few other items were less, all the rest were much higher. by,by Box store. As it turns out our local supply house is best price, and we get service.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 01-19-2004).]

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 01-19-2004).]
Active;
Where are you located? I work at a supply house now, after years in the field. Maybe I can help you.

~Andy
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Any online or mail order discount suppliers? - 01/20/04 12:56 AM
I agree the big Orange stores are a ripoff and a pain to shop in besides. I had to buy some 1-1/2 emt compression connectors they were 3.69 each the supply house charges 1.33 each. Also their weatherproof stuff is high and their conduit bodies must be gold plated. They are only cheaper on the pipe and wire, and then just on the small wire.
The way they make money is advertise the main item cheap then sock it to you on everything you need to go with it.
I'd sure like to find better pricing on GFCI devices somewhere than $10 each.
Brian
Same over here. The big B&Q store (similar to HD even down to the orange color scheme) is handy for when my regular supplier is out of something I need urgently, but prices range from 5 or 10% higher on some items to several times the price on others.

Example: 4 ft. ground rod, £2.29 at the trade warehouse, £5.95 in B&Q.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 01-20-2004).]
i use Barnett for sundry goods, can't beat the prices even @ HD

~S~
$10/ea for a GFI. that's unheard of. We sell them for $7 or less each. If you buy enough, we can do even better.
Wirenutt, I'd like to know where you're buying GFI's cheap enough to sell them for $7. Are you using the new UL devices or are you still working off a supply of the old ones?
Posted By: LK Re: Any online or mail order discount suppliers? - 01/21/04 01:34 AM
Eagle,
GFCI 11.70 plus tax at box store, 7.80 plus tax at local supply house, New with lock out, Old style at supply house was 4.75 and as stated Barnett has some real deals on GFCI all year long provided you buy eniough to cover shipping charces.
Wirenut, What supply house are you at and what brand of GFI recept?
Local trade price for "lockout" GFIs is 9.21 + tax. Plate not included.
hmmmm, i guess i'll let the cat outta the bag..

He's @ CES (Consolodated Electric Supply), they manufacture thier own GFI's, as well as lighting brands

There a fair sized company, very competitive

~S~
You might try Sunstar Lighting... but their minimums seem awfully high.

I'll confess to using the Box... biggest advantages compared to my local Electrical Contractor Supplier (ECS) is that they are reasonably competetive, closely located, as well as having better (longer) hours. They will start gouging once you get out of the Romex/1/2" EMT area, though. Probably due to (lack of) everyday sales.

As for the few items that the Box is lower on? I usually follow a "15%" rule. If my local ECS is within 15%, I'll give him the biz instead. Of course, his being the only ECS in our "economically challenged" community allows me a feeling of contribution to the community as well.

Besides, many of the folks working at the Box don't know the codes (Nat'l or local).

[short story] Was installing a 220 run for a dryer in St. Louis for my girlfriend (before she became my wife). Pulled an unused breaker from the panel, and asked her to stop bythe Box and pick one up.
A "pro" in the electrical dept. told her that "Only a licensed electrician can buy breakers, little lady" (she was 28, and 5'8" - and not exactly little")

She called me later than evening and was PISSED!!! I went down there that weekend, license in hand, to confront the "pro"... he wasn't working.
Have had similar situations at the Box (asked for Siemens breakers & got told they don't have them, until we asked where the nearest Lowe's was, and suddenly "oh, you want just breakers? They're over here"

Pretty much isolated to StL area, but still better advertising for my local guys! [/short story]

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 01-22-2004).]
C.E.S. (concord electric supply) Westford, Ma. branch. No, we don't have the new lock out brand as of yet. We carry a few brands; SES which is a sister company, P&S and Cooper. At this time there's been some problems with the new lock out brand so our sister co. will not produce them. At the moment we're selling out the regular types which as far as I know is still legal to install. The way I understand it, it's only UL white book and not adopted until the 2005 NEC.

[This message has been edited by Wirenuttt (edited 01-25-2004).]
i find it odd that the lockout concept is exclusive to devices and not breakers....
© ECN Electrical Forums