ECN Forum
Posted By: ComputerWizKid Compact FL? - 01/13/04 07:05 AM
are they affect by vibration I know incandacents hate it. My upstars neighbors was being noisy and banging and one just went out. Only 1Yr old said 7 yrs on package
commerical electric (Home Depot)
Posted By: rizer Re: Compact FL? - 01/13/04 09:29 AM
take it back with no receipt, its worth a try. is it the only one of its kind in your apartment? what is the voltage at the outlet? what is the v. rating of the bulb ie.130 v? arent neighbors great! probably horn honkers too! it amazes me how inconsiderate people have become; we are living in an apathetic society.
Posted By: ComputerWizKid Re: Compact FL? - 01/13/04 10:52 AM
rated 125V voltage at outlet 118 (checked with fluke)
Posted By: ComputerWizKid Re: Compact FL? - 01/13/04 10:53 AM
I bought a 4 pack same fixture just one went out
Posted By: JBD Re: Compact FL? - 01/13/04 02:25 PM
This may just be a fact of life. The package probably said average (not guaranteed) life was 7 years.

Normally lamp life is based on a fairly simple test. A number of lamps are turned on, when 50% have burned out, the test is ended and the average life is determined. This simple average says that some lamps will burn out immediately and some will burn at least twice as long as the average.

[This message has been edited by JBD (edited 01-13-2004).]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Compact FL? - 01/13/04 04:58 PM
Is the lampholder in the fixture in good condition?

What did the bulb do exactly, did it just wink out totally or did it start doing that blue flickering glow?

I wonder if it's a manufacturing defect inside the ballast? Cold solder joint in the little PC board that makes up the ciruitry in the white screw-in base?

I'd say open up the white enclosure and check all the connections and retouch the solder joints with a small soldering iron but those things are made as cheap as possible and the ballast section is always glued shut in the CFL bulbs I've used, so if you go cracking it open along the seam you might damage it even more.....

If you do get it open, the trick is then to seal it all up again....epoxy? Hmm.....

Still got nothing to loose if the store won't take the bulb back....what brand of bulb is it, by the way?

Another thing that just crossed my mind is the central contact on the screw-shell. Sometimes that little wire that goes to that center "button" breaks off or is not soldered in properly...maybe if you tried applying a small blob of solder it could re-connect it.

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 01-13-2004).]
Posted By: ComputerWizKid Re: Compact FL? - 01/14/04 12:13 AM
Ok since it was on the ceiling and all that vibration make it lose from the socket 2 bulb fixture other one was loose to
it works fine now
well with 8 ft ceiling its hard to get up there just went up there now and fixed it
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Compact FL? - 01/14/04 02:25 AM
It's always the easy ones that get you. [Linked Image]

I remember my grandmother once getting up on a chair to change the lightbulb in the bathroom....when it turns out the existing one had just gotten loose.

She replaced it anyway....the new bulb gave out a whiter light....better frosting.
© ECN Electrical Forums