ECN Forum
Posted By: Attic Rat Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/21/03 01:07 AM
..We were roughing in an addition, and at the top of the staircase was my 2-gang box with 2-3way switch legs, as well as the feeds...well, the studs were open, and nothing prevented anyone from seeing what was stapled on the studs..I'd used "3M stack-its" and was well within my 1-1/4" from stud edges...anyway this yutz comes drilling through with his bell-bit,and goes thru not one, not two, but all 3 of my wires I had painstakingly run upstairs from the switch location down below...I WAS LIVID!!! I then told the HO what happened, and re-ran the lines again,..this time as an EXTRA!!!
Posted By: hbiss Re: Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/21/03 01:21 AM
Hope the HO charged it back to the alarm guy. Sometimes this happens to the best of us but not in broad daylight.
Posted By: DougW Re: Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/21/03 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Attic Rat-
..We were roughing in an addition, and at the top of the staircase was my 2-gang box with 2-3way switch legs, as well as the feeds...well, the studs were open, and nothing prevented anyone from seeing what was stapled on the studs..

Hey AR... You assumed that someone would
A) looking to see if they were oging to hit something, or
B) Give a hoot!

Hey, let the HO take your extra out of the alarm guy's check.

Just wait until he tries to tie into your 110 for his 24vdc xformer.

Tell him (Alarm genius) he needs a dedicated "56 bizziloampere" circuit, for his alarm's brain box for the low, low price of [drevil] "ONE...MILLION...DOLLARS...MuWHA HAHAHAHA"[/drevil]

DougW - having too much fun at work....
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/21/03 01:59 AM
So you guys have never screwed up? I doubt that. I would not be happy either but could it have been an honest (stupid) mistake?
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/21/03 02:22 AM
Dude,...I screw up all the time,..I just thought it was this guys turn for the razzing!!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: fla sparkey Re: Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/21/03 05:37 AM
I had a similar incident happen one time on a custom house job.

My helper came looking for some wirenuts to give to the plumbers. When I asked him what the plumbers needed the wirenuts for he didn't have a clue.

When I confronted the plumbers I found out that they had run their hole saw through one of my feed wires while drilling a hole for a vent pipe. They were trying to splice the wire back together and avoid a back charge.

I wasn't too happy with them about what they had done or with my helper either. I told my helper that plumbers don't normally need wirenuts to do their job and he should have asked them what was going on.

I think that some of these other tradesmen (if you can call some of them that) simply don't care about anybody else's work but their own.

I fought with the drywallers on another job I did earlier this year. They were tearing up my boxes and pipes on a major remodeling job I was doing. If the stuff was in their way it wound up on the floor. The super didn't do anything about it until they started tearing up the metal door jambs-then he threw the whole bunch off the job. I was having a good laugh about it but he didn't think it was funny then. The guys they hired to finish the job couldn't believe the mess they made. Guess that's what happens when you go with the low bidder and inexperienced help-not to mention lax supervision.

[This message has been edited by fla sparkey (edited 12-21-2003).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/21/03 11:16 AM
one of constructions golden rules is to 'not screw up the other trades'....
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/21/03 03:37 PM
While we are at it how about another golden rule that states thou shall not shock the other trades. Too many times to remember I have had other sub's tell me about the "other" job they were on where the electrician on the job told them not to worry about a wire/ cable - it's not hot, and they got shocked or saw an arc.
Posted By: Edward Re: Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/21/03 04:22 PM
Similar situation here.

I was rewiring a house and had a bad time with one of the carpenters. We could not communicate with eachother. Anyway long story short he got fired.
When it came time to test the electrical i kept getting a short on a lighting circuit. We found it after 1 HR. pparemtly before he got fired the guy intentionally drove a 3" screw across a 2x4 ceiling joist directlty into my 14-3 and the whole attic was cover with blown insulation. But we found it.
Showed it to his boss. I think the guy is still looking for a job.

Edward
Posted By: sparky Re: Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/21/03 07:14 PM
While we are at it how about another golden rule that states thou shall not shock the other trades. Too many times to remember I have had other sub's tell me about the "other" job they were on where the electrician on the job told them not to worry about a wire/ cable - it's not hot, and they got shocked or saw an arc

when asked here macmikeman, i inform other trades that what is live is for me to know, and them to worry about...

~S~
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/21/03 07:38 PM
A made-up,live panel is an invitation for carpenters to flip breakers. No matter how many signs you put on it. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by ga.sparky56 (edited 12-21-2003).]
Posted By: fla sparkey Re: Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/21/03 07:39 PM
I like that answer Sparkey. It makes the other guys treat your stuff with a little respect. I'll have to remember that for next time. LOL
Posted By: electure Re: Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/21/03 10:46 PM
A hot 277 lighting circuit makes absolute hash out of a taper's knife.
They always want the lights on, most inspectors allow it, and we shouldn't shock the other trades.
Darned if we do, and Darned if we don't...S
Posted By: sparky Re: Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/22/03 12:35 AM
A made-up,live panel is an invitation for carpenters to flip breakers. No matter how many signs you put on it.
oh yes, ga.sparky56.
i've come to two avenues with this one...
a)
place an orange 77 on the hots just before entering breakers, and visit the panel for connection repeatedly througout the job or..
b)
use a small means of id for circuits that are ok to be on, i use a small magic marker 'dot' alongside my panel sched.

being confronted one can alwyas point out said 'dot' system , and those circuits activated by meddling hands...

just a little bit, just a little bit... fla sparkey [Linked Image]
[Linked Image from randysrodeo.com]
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/22/03 01:17 AM
LOL!!!!
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/22/03 01:46 AM
Good ideas Sparky. The marker system would seem a better choice for me since my panel directories frequently get ground into the floor,or thrown away.

Russell
Posted By: master66 Re: Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/22/03 02:21 AM
We usually do jobs in buildings that are mostly metal studs and beams.

If someone from another trade makes me mad, I look at them with a smile and say, "If I were you I wouldn't touch anything metal."

We usually have a good laugh and I usually don't have any more trouble.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/23/03 01:27 AM
I think someone misread me , I almost never ever heat up any job until I get my final and I am outa there.(this policy has caused me alot of grief from varioius general contractors). What I do hear on occasion is another contractor on another jobsite left hot wires exposed and somebody got hit with it.

My jobs have gfci temporary outlets mounted on a temp pole or at the existing service if it is a retrofit.
All existing interior wiring gets disconnected at the main disconect by removing and taping from the main. Framers and Masons all seem to carry extension cords, but its suprising how finish guys seem to pretend an extension cord run to the inside of the job is beyond their company's budget. And yes they will pull out whatever breaker tags you install and just flip breakers on when you are not there.
Posted By: sparky Re: Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/23/03 01:55 AM
well that would be the optimum approach in a perfect world macmikeman, and i shant argue it with you save to say i'd dearly like to apply for a visa to it...

many of us in the real world pigtail out and spark up what is useful long before trim out, and need entrust this to Joe bag-o-donuts & company

sometimes to lead other trades into believing something is hot (when it's really not) via subtle insinuation pays off handsomely

better profits through fear eh? , whoda thunk it?
~S~
Posted By: elecbob Re: Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/23/03 03:38 AM
Any living creature gets bit on one of my jobs it is my respnsibility. It is my responsibility to protect these idiots. Just ask God or my insurance agent.
Merry Christmas everyone!
Bob
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/23/03 02:53 PM
..On a normal renovation..I usually leave one receptacle,and a switch hot,tape the heck out of it,and a pigtail lampholder...the feed thru's at the receptacle are not connected,so nothing downstream gets energized...they ask for power,so I give it to them..but I also caution them about the hazard involved..I usually work with the same GC,so his guys know how to handle the potential hazard...
Posted By: DougW Re: Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/23/03 05:03 PM
Our new builds, the first run we normally pipe after we install the main is 4 12's, (to a single 1900), which feeds 2 duplexes on 2 GFCI breakers for the first floor, and (if the run follows), we've been known to run a third circuit to the second floor, also on GFCI. We either pull it out during our finishing (once other circuits are in place), or use it as part of a branch.

We've also installed a "temporary power point", basically a 2'x 2' piece of plywood nailed to the studs, with a bunch of 20a receptacles in exterior boxes on it, all wired to GFCI breakers @ the main panel.

We usually box & pipe, pull the wire, tape the boxes, let the finishers in, then install the fixtures / receptacles / switches, and then the breakers.

Keeps "little fingers" outta our panels.
Posted By: earlydean Re: Alarm Guy from Hell - 12/23/03 07:13 PM
I remember one GC who would turn on every breaker in the panel every morning to make sure all the lights were on. He was encouraging the trades to get to work. He would ignore our cautions about doing this, as some circuits were not ready to be energized. He had his own key to the panel, and he would use it. We gave him a scare one day by removing the fuse from a cherry bomb (large fire cracker), inserting two wires into the fuse hole in loose contact, one to the breaker and one to neutral bus. Next morning, in he came and started flipping all the breakers, I thought he would die from a heart attack when the "bomb" went off in his face! we could only say, "We told you so", and mentioned the backcharge to "repair" the damage. Kept him out of the panels the rest of the job!
© ECN Electrical Forums