ECN Forum
Posted By: Attic Rat NM in Conduit - 12/15/03 01:40 PM
... Anyone here know if ya can sleeve NM in conduit..? I've been doing it for years,and terminating it with a "from-to" for 1/2"EMT..There was a buzz going around at my supply house about this, and although I checked the "Good Book" about it, I can't find a reference....
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: NM in Conduit - 12/15/03 01:47 PM
Please elaborate on your term "sleeve". When I picture a sleeve, I picture a piece of conduit about 6"-12" long. This would be fine. If you are thinking more than 10', this may be a different story.
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: NM in Conduit - 12/15/03 01:52 PM
These installations could be anywhere from 30" to 60" usually done in unfinished basements, where a receptacle is needed, and I'm coming down from above..ie; the floor joists...and mounted on the foundation wall. I've also done it when "poking thru a floor to run a receptacle to a 4" square (1900) box

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 12-15-2003).]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: NM in Conduit - 12/15/03 02:04 PM
334.15(B) discusses using a raceway as a means of protection from physical damage. I think that fits your description. You should be fine.
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: NM in Conduit - 12/15/03 02:14 PM
Thanx Ryan, I thought so, but I wasn't sure.. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: NM in Conduit - 12/15/03 02:16 PM
Any time. Don't be a stranger just because your question got answered. The is much to be learned here. See ya around [Linked Image]
Posted By: electricman2 Re: NM in Conduit - 12/15/03 09:02 PM
This may be a dumb question, but what on earth is a "from-to"? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: NM in Conduit - 12/15/03 09:09 PM
...it's an EMT female fitting, with a set-screw on one end and a romex-like connector on the other end....only made in 1/2", and 3/4"...
Posted By: electricman2 Re: NM in Conduit - 12/15/03 09:23 PM
OK, I just never heard them called that. Thanks [Linked Image]
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: NM in Conduit - 12/16/03 12:05 AM
Attic Rat,

Nice to have you here.
1900's and "from-to's". You must be from the NY area. [Linked Image]

Your description is exactly how I do it. Never even a question from an inspector.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: NM in Conduit - 12/16/03 01:16 AM
Small aside — You may need to satisfy (99NEC) CHAPTER 9 Notes to Tables
(9) A multiconductor cable of two or more conductors shall be treated as a single conductor for calculating percentage conduit fill area. For cables that have elliptical cross sections, the cross-sectional area calculation shall be based on using the major diameter of the ellipse as a circle diameter.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 12-15-2003).]
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: NM in Conduit - 12/16/03 05:20 AM
I haven't learned yet how to Quote replies,so to Speedy Petey, yep, I'm from N.J....close enough, I reckon.. [Linked Image]and to Bjarney, thanx,I'll refer to that table for sizing in the future...it stands to reason,that a cable in a conduit should be counted as 1 conductor and sized accordingly... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: NM in Conduit - 12/16/03 05:25 AM
...PS,...thanx for the welcome Speedy!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]...I'm really gonna like it here!!!

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 12-16-2003).]
© ECN Electrical Forums