ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Do you Winterize? - 11/22/03 08:30 PM
As we're getting ready for the colder weather here in the Northeast there are things I do every year. Besides getting leaves up off the lawn etc. I bring any liquids and chemicals in from the unheated garage so they don't freeze.

As far as the truck goes, what do you do?
I'd throw a shovel or two on there if there's snow on the ground or expected. There's low temp pvc cement that makes things easier. I would take all caulks and tape inside overnight and would keep them in the cab or in my pockets on cold days. (Because they freeze and become unusable)

Just curious what preparations or procedures anyone else uses during colder months.

Bill
Posted By: Roger Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/22/03 08:51 PM
Hello Bill, We had a feeder to replace once and it was scheduled as a shut down to start at 5:00 am.

At this time the old feeder (about 100' 4/0) would be pulled out by truck, and the new feeder would be tied on and pulled in with expectations of having power back on by 7:00 am.

Everything was going fine untill someone remembered the yellow 77 was on the back of their truck at overnight temps of around zero.

We made it on time with the help of a propane torch. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: sparky Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/22/03 11:40 PM
studded snows all round the awd van, shovel on board, put the dux seal & caulk on the dash, jump kit w/cartharts,sorels,ski mask, 20' chain in back....

all set to roll.....

~S~
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/22/03 11:48 PM
Sparky,is that awd- 4wd van?

Russell
Posted By: walrus Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/22/03 11:48 PM
If I need 33+ I put it in my pocket, duct seal goes on dash etc. I have so many coats, sweat shirts, hats, gloves, insulated coveralls that I'm the only one who can get in my truck. Maine can be very cold so after awhile you learn to be prepared [Linked Image]. Don't do much to the truck, some years I put on snow tires, doubt I will this year, Maine does a great job plowing and sanding
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/22/03 11:49 PM
I don't think studded tires have been allowed down here for many years.

Hey, do you get a lot of 'Frost Heaves' where you are? Where I go in NH they have signs all over. I guess with things like that going on every year they might not worry about what the studs do to the roads.

Bill
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/23/03 12:50 AM
Out West, the Cal/OSHA High Hazard Unit has stepped in with a new seasonal mandate.  [Scott35 and Electure can verify this insane rule.]  We now have to trade in our shortsleeve teeshirts for longsleeve in all months with the letter Q.    

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 11-22-2003).]
Posted By: walrus Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/23/03 01:02 AM
We get frost heaves that will rip the front end off a vehicle if you don't know they are there. The state goes around and puts up "BUMP" signs all over the place.Frost heave signs are used also. They show up in the same places every year. Last year where it was so cold they were even worse than normal. Maine roads in general are awful to begin with and once febuary comes around they get even worse until sometime in April depending on the locale
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/23/03 03:22 AM
Gidday there Bill. [Linked Image]
Having just come out a rather hard Winter here, I'm glad that I had the chance to do a really good service on my Faults truck (which is a Toyota Hilux SWB ute).
Before the weather got too cold here, I spent a whole day giving the truck an oil change, replaced the Fuel filter, checked the Belts and Timing Chain.
I flushed the Coolant system and recharged it with new water and Anti-Freeze.
I then checked the AirCon system and ran it for an hour and checked the HP/LP pressures.
I Load tested the Battery and replaced it as it was found to be wanting in CCA, as I have a Winch on the front of this truck.
The Alternator was also tested.
As far as my house goes, I just checked the Air Conditioning pressures and the Compressor currents and all seemed to be fine.
All that was left to do was to get my BIG pot of Winter soup started on the stove and get the bread baking in the oven!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: waymag Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/23/03 03:52 AM
Wow I am glad I am in Texas. The winters in Dallas are nothing compared to what you guys are talking about up north. In fact it was 80 here today. Although I miss being up north sometimes. I love how the seasons change up there.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/23/03 12:26 PM
It really doesn't get cold enough to warrant so much winter preparation here.

Sure, we get times when the temperature drops below 32 overnight, but it's rare for it to stay below freezing all day. I don't dislike the cold temperatures so much as the miserable gray skies with rain and wind for days on end.

Winter preparations are the usual vehicle checks on anti-freeze etc. You won't normally find studded tires here, and most people don't have tire chains. Maybe that's partly why when we do get snow, everything tends to grind to a complete halt! [Linked Image]

Even though winters here are nothing like as cold as most parts of the Northern and Mid-Western U.S., it's still noticeable that cables can be harder to handle.
Posted By: sparky Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/23/03 12:45 PM
Sparky,is that awd- 4wd van?

AWD Russ, it's a 00'Chevy Astro, i guess it's all-the-time or when-the-back-wheels -loose-it sort of deal, there is nothing i need engage, it does all right...

The state goes around and puts up "BUMP" signs all over the place.
yup, same here....many cars w/ski racks are found just after them trying to secure whatever fell off.... [Linked Image]
Posted By: DougW Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/23/03 03:18 PM
As far as items on the dash go, don't forget to put your work gloves up there, by the defroster...

if you've still got room! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Roger Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/23/03 03:43 PM
Trumpy,
All that was left to do was to get my BIG pot of Winter soup started on the stove and get the bread baking in the oven!.

I can smell it over the net. [Linked Image]

Bring on the first snow.

Roger
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/23/03 04:04 PM
I usually drain/flush refill the cooling system,change oil/transmission fluid,transfer case. Just general maintenence on the truck(95 dodge 4wd)

Coveralls,gloves and such go behind the seat. Winters usually aren't too bad here.Snow usually lasts 2 or 3 days and mostly gone.

I do try to keep enough material to build a couple of oh services in case of night/weekend emergencies.

Russell
Posted By: electure Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/23/03 05:35 PM
I replaced my windshield wiper blades. Does that count??
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/23/03 06:19 PM
Roger: What do you mean "bring on the first snow"? LOL! I took my daughter trick-or-treating in the snow a few weeks ago!

I went to a college football game yesterday that was about 10 degrees with wind chill...BURR!!! We sat in the south endzone with a north wind blowing snow in our face the whole game! Oh well, our team won! (why am I a football fan? I can't remember!)

The biggest preperation tool I use is to have something available at all times to thaw out frozen locks on your truck. Even if you just carry a cigarette lighter in your pocket to heat your key, its better than nothing.
Posted By: mostwanted Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/23/03 10:32 PM
I get out the old extension cord so I can plug in my diesel.
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/24/03 02:45 AM
I buy tickets and make reservations for the islands [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Pierre
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/24/03 05:22 PM
Don't forget tissues. A runny nose is a terrible thing to chase.

(2 toddlers with colds...'snot very pleasant.)
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/24/03 07:46 PM
Couldn't be much worse than 3 kids and a sick hubby....

For those of us who fly a desk:
- Add box of instant oatmeal, hot chocolate (packets) & tea bags to lunch bag
- Bring out the panel heater for cold feet
- Bring sweater to leave in drawer

This morning it was a chilly 11 degrees F when I was trying to get aforementioned kids out of their cozy beds.

[This message has been edited by BuggabooBren (edited 11-24-2003).]
Posted By: straightedge Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/25/03 06:08 AM
Ah, to winterize in Arizona,

I will finally get into your attic and install those recess cans that you wanted last summer.

I love the winter.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/25/03 05:20 PM
HOw many of you up in places like MN, WI, or the Canadian plains use those plug-in engine block heaters in winter?

I understand they're quite common in Scandinavian countries too.
Posted By: walrus Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/26/03 12:15 AM
I know of guys who when they go to northern Maine never shut their diesel trucks off, even when they spend the night in Hotel [Linked Image]. When temps are 30 below zero, stuff starts hard the next morning [Linked Image]
Engine block heaters are common all over Maine.
Posted By: mvpmaintman Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/26/03 01:24 AM
One thing not to do:

If the weather is below zero, DO NOT put the little square nut from the uni-strut clamp in your mouth if the clamps are laying outside all night. Saw a guy do this in Wyoming on a job once, just like a kid with his tongue stuck to a flag pole.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/26/03 02:33 AM
Straightedge I'm with you. Jobs requiring a lot of attic work are scheduled between 5:00 AM and 11:00 AM in the summer, but in the winter all day. Even still. a sunny winter day here can heat up an attic pretty good.
Brian........Tucson
Posted By: pauluk Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/26/03 10:34 AM
I know of guys who when they go to northern Maine never shut their diesel trucks off, even when they spend the night in Hotel .

Wow! When I was in Nebraska it was quite normal to see people leaving their engines running while going to the post office or to get some groceries, but I don't remember anyone leaving the motor running all night!
Posted By: iwire Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/26/03 10:59 AM
In Boston MA the local transit authority (MBTA) will leave the diesel busses running all night when the forecast is for cold weather.

I do not know at what temperature they decide to do this.

It is not every winter night.

Bill here in MA we can still run studded tires from November until the end of April.

They do a real number on the road when some one spins a studded tire in one spot.

I used to drive a Zamboni and the studded tires on that would rip up concrete. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 11-26-2003).]
Posted By: kinetic Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/27/03 05:34 AM
I feel for you guys....I cry like a baby when it hits 40 F. Born and raised in AZ has its price I guess. How do I winterize? I put on pants. [Linked Image] Sorry couldn't resist.
Posted By: mbhydro Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/27/03 10:38 PM
Paluk you were asking about block heater usage in Canada. Where I am in Manitoba it can go down to -40C in December through March and if your not plugged in you are not starting your vehicle.

Alot of people find out when it gets cold that their block heaters don't work. They then have the long hour wait for a tow truck to come jump the battery so they can start their vehicle.

About 5 years ago some vandal came through our lot when I was working evenings and unplugged all the cars. I had to wait 3 hours for the motor league to get a truck to me so I could go home.

The big thing now is energy management on the plugs. Manitoba Hydro says that the block heaters are only needed for up to 4 hours to warm the engine up, so to reduce consumption costs companies are putting devices on the staff plarking plugs to turn the power off and on depending on the weather.

Here are two examples the first is a central control unit and the second one is a retrofit that goes at each stall.
http://www.hydro.mb.ca/saving_with_ps/central_parking_controller.pdf
http://iplc.com/installation.html
Posted By: mvpmaintman Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/29/03 05:37 AM
When I worked in Wyoming one winter we had to tell the newbies to put a beer flat with cat litter in it next to the door and put your battery in so it wouldnt freeze solid.

Best winterizing I know to do is to hitch up the trailer and head for Baja California.

LOL
Posted By: DougW Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/29/03 05:32 PM
Don't forget to bring in your NiCad battery packs when it gets cold! (oops)
Posted By: pauluk Re: Do you Winterize? - 11/29/03 05:52 PM
Where I am in Manitoba it can go down to -40C in December through March and if your not plugged in you are not starting your vehicle.

Brrr! Winter in Nebraska was quite cold enough for me, thanks! [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums