ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Change of Pace - 11/18/03 10:00 PM
What do you like about what you do?
What's your Favorite type of work?

I like troubleshooting, the head-scratcher type. It's been tough sometimes, but methodical testing has always provided an answer if I've kept at it.

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: iwire Re: Change of Pace - 11/18/03 10:24 PM
Yep I am with you on that Bill, probably why I am one of the service guys.

Down side on call every 7th week but I get to do some real detective work sometimes.

We do a lot of super market work so refrigeration trouble shooting is common.

Centrally located compressors in a rear room, condensers on the roof, evaporator coils and solenoid valves spread out every where, electric defrost, hot gas defrost, heat reclaim (diverts hot refrigerant to the roof top building heaters) all controlled by third party energy management systems.

It can be a fun time trying to figure out why the milk is frozen solid and the next time why the deli case is averaging 100 degrees.

The newest energy management systems are cool, touch screens and they can tell you so much info by text or graphs etc.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Change of Pace - 11/19/03 12:11 AM
What do you like about what you do?

Bill:

I enjoy being involved in the teaching of those who want to learn how to use the NEC.

I have been and instructor with NFPA, IAEI, and as an Independent trainer "on the circuit" since 1985, and after 10 years with my present company will reach my 500 TH seminar soon!

I also enjoy the student population and the different people I come into contact with, and since 1990 surfing the net and starting a web site that is used by many.

I am also proud to be affiliated with ECN and Dave's Grafixbynix Hosting Service.

Collecting old electrical books is also one of my hobbies, and I use my cameras to take pictures that I use on the net and in articles.

What's your Favorite type of work?

If I was in the firld my favorite type of work would include installing services, trouble shooting electrical circuits, and of course writing, editing and using computers
Posted By: electure Re: Change of Pace - 11/19/03 12:12 AM
I now do service/warranty work mostly, with commercial, industrial & very occasionally, resi. I like the great people that I work with now, I like most of the customers, but most of all, I like the variety.
In the past, I've got to wire everything from underwater special effects & roller coasters, to rehab houses that should have been bulldozed
I see good and bad, rich and poor.
All of that gives me a reference to see how good I really have it, all told.
It's a good thing to be an electrician [Linked Image]
Favorite?
The look on some fixed-income elderly lady's face when you tell her she doesn't need to buy a new garbage disposal(although she's already asked if you can replace it for her), that a wire just "fell" off the switch, and there won't be a charge...S
Posted By: sparky Re: Change of Pace - 11/19/03 12:13 AM
i like the diversity...
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Change of Pace - 11/19/03 12:16 AM
I also love a good challenge. One of the things that I love about my job is that you must think. There are certain things that I would or would not do as an installer, but not everyone is like that. Because of that, I am forced to get into the code everyday (which is fine with me). Inspecting, for me, is always a good challenge.

If I were to pinpoint it, however, it would be inspecting services. These were also my favorite when I used to install.
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Change of Pace - 11/19/03 12:22 AM
Would have to say industrial process/machine controls, particularly design/build stuff. Custom control panels, instrumentation, drives, motion control, etc. Am planning a retrofit of a large servohydraulic system to linear electric actuators, controlled by a PC with a D/A card to generate complex motion. Get rid of the noise and maintenance issues of the hydraulics altogether. Should be a fun job! [Linked Image]
Posted By: crash Re: Change of Pace - 11/19/03 12:52 AM
One of the things I like doing right now is dealing with something new, unusual or different, and being able to come up with the best way to deal with the situation. One of the things I would like to do in the future is teach, however I think ther are some things that I must learn first, and some skills I must improve upon.
Posted By: electricman2 Re: Change of Pace - 11/19/03 02:14 AM
My hands down choice is service/troubleshooting, especilally motor or pump controls. At the bottom of the scale would be residential wiring.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Change of Pace - 11/19/03 02:26 AM
I like wiring remote pumping stations that are well out of cell/pager/radio range, with an absolute minimum of visitors.

Troubleshooting would be a lot more interesting {and productive} if it weren’t for squirrelly, self-important, low-level, production “manager” parasites asking when whatever will be back on. Anymore, such inane sniveling/queries cause me to become increasingly calm, thorough, reflective and meticulous in the process. Even slightly increased blood pressure just isn’t worth it.
Posted By: spkjpr Re: Change of Pace - 11/19/03 03:35 AM
I enjoy troubleshooting and installing. I particularly enjoy using the PLC to troubleshoot, but that ties in with my electroncis side. LOL with Bjarney, I too have to put up with that. Bjarney 2 things to tell them [Linked Image]my personal favorite) If you don't like this speed, you really aren't going to like the other one; or there's the tools, if you can do it faster. Go for it! Sometimes one must just remain calm and resist the terrible urge to rip their heads off.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Change of Pace - 11/19/03 04:44 AM
How about runnin' Pipe?

I've seen some nice looking jobs I figure someone out there must enjoy doin' it?

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Change of Pace - 11/19/03 04:59 AM
I always like runnin' pipe Bill. I'm not real good at it because we don't do much of it,but it's enjoyable to try to make a good looking job,and to try to do better every time.

Russell
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Change of Pace - 11/19/03 05:21 AM
I have been in the install end of the business for many years, with trouble shooting being my favorite part - certainly not crawling in 120 degree attics that are dirty and dusty.
Now I am focusing on teaching and small consulting work. The change I see most now are the varied questions I receive. Wow!

Pierre
Posted By: Fred Re: Change of Pace - 11/19/03 06:38 PM
Running pipe is the most day to day fun I have. Large steel frame warehouse type buildings are the best. Load up the scissor lift in the AM and go up on the ceiling and work with out being bothered until lunch. Offsets, saddles and spiral bends to receptacles down the columns never get old for me. I always try to make the next one with less tweaking than the last. All the math exercises my brain.
Posted By: maintenanceguy Re: Change of Pace - 11/19/03 10:37 PM
A great day is one that starts with some piece of equipment I've never seen before and have no idea how it works and ends with me now feeling like an expert who figured it all out and got it running like new.

The longer I work, the more I learn, the rarer that thrill is.
Posted By: arseegee Re: Change of Pace - 11/20/03 03:44 AM
I too enjoy running pipe. Since we do about 75% resi, it is a nice change of pace.

I have done several restaurants this past year and have enjoyed them too. It's always fun to go back and critique as you enjoy your lunch.

I also like doing slab work as long as it's not too big. Gimme bout 5000 ft of pipe, some strut, some clamps and a mini trackhoe and I'm set for the day!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Change of Pace - 11/20/03 05:06 AM
Bill,
That's a mighty fine question. [Linked Image]
I must say I enjoy the great variety(scope) of work that having 2 tickets allows, but having said that, I most enjoy Installing New Industrial Switchboards and Mains cable Installation.
I haven't really done a lot of Domestic work lately, but I can't say I really miss it either!.
Bjarney said:
Anymore, such inane sniveling/queries cause me to become increasingly calm, thorough, reflective and meticulous in the process. Even slightly increased blood pressure just isn’t worth it.
I like your style, mate!!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Change of Pace - 11/21/03 07:54 AM
The Banks we did were cool. Every job was a new type of challenge.

Favorite work would include the Banks, a few Machine Shops, Some other Commercial T.I.'s involving above normal installs, and most of all - working both ends of Design/Builds (Engineer it then build it).

Enjoy working with Conduit + "Trapeze" setups, Gear (from MSB thru Sub Panels), Floor Duct systems, Transformers + UPS systems, Control systems (like EMS and Motor Controls), setting up LAN equipment
(running and terminating UTP is not in this "favored" selection [Linked Image]...), Exterior lighting, and ATM upgrades.

Teaching has been a long time dream, and hope to do some level of instruction soon.
PLC and related Motor Theory / equipment is the next area I plan to study in-depth.
After that, study Business, some Psych (for much better work relations and how to speak more effectively), a technical / professional writing course, then maybe something in the I.T. areas - like MCSE, A+, or similar.

Scott35
Posted By: mostwanted Re: Change of Pace - 11/22/03 01:50 AM
First off, I like the satisfaction of doing a job right and making something "look good" (i.e. clean work).
I also like a little trouble shooting, tho.
Posted By: DougW Re: Change of Pace - 11/23/03 10:32 PM
Re-working / troubleshooting Old Work is alternately the most frustrating AND the most rewarding.

Sometimes you just have to ask "WTF was he thinking when he ran this?"

I also like roughing in, because you can look back at the end of the day and see what you've accomplished. (why I like carpentry, too)
© ECN Electrical Forums