ECN Forum
Posted By: GETELECTRIC WHAT ELESE WOULD YOU DO - 10/28/03 08:08 PM
IF YOU HAD A CHOICE BE IT ELECTRICAL OR SOMETHING ELSE HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO MAKE YOUR LIVING?
Posted By: George Corron Re: WHAT ELESE WOULD YOU DO - 10/28/03 08:18 PM
I'll kick in here.
My legs refuse to let me be on a crew, or run a crew anymore, I miss that more than most guys can understand, so I'm constrained to supervision and more a "Chair Bound Ranger" than I ever wanted to be....... BUT

I do really enjoy working on generators, just not the 80 hours a week the guys normally work on them, but I could do that for a living. That's kinda 'lectric related though.

When I was an apprentice, I fell in with a surveyor that wanted to teach me the trade. He got a job in Alaska on the pipeline and I finished my apprenticeship in the meantime, so when he came back, I really could not afford the cut in pay, but I still would really love to be a surveyor.

Can't really think of another blooming thing that would float my boat. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: WHAT ELESE WOULD YOU DO - 10/28/03 08:58 PM
Rock star!
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: WHAT ELESE WOULD YOU DO - 10/28/03 09:11 PM
A wine connoisseur that travels the world looking for new wines [Linked Image]

Pierre
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: WHAT ELESE WOULD YOU DO - 10/28/03 11:43 PM
I'll throw this in...
After doing an inspection at a new 'Benz service center, I think in my next life a 'Benz technician would be a great job!

Those guys have a carpeted lokker room, excersize room, knock-out restroom & shower area, and a really NICE place to work in.
(Puts the 'Beemer service center to shame.)

Now, the client area is plush, heck they did the restrooms in granite & cherry WOOD.

John
Posted By: golf junkie Re: WHAT ELESE WOULD YOU DO - 10/29/03 12:11 AM
Golf Pro! PGA tour type.

GJ
Posted By: sparky Re: WHAT ELESE WOULD YOU DO - 10/29/03 12:43 AM
I was born to wire, why would i wish for anything else?

btw~my drills bigger than your too [Linked Image]

~S~
Posted By: Pinemarten Re: WHAT ELESE WOULD YOU DO - 10/29/03 01:28 AM
I have turned down management a few times, I don't feel I am the type.
Design and planning would be nice.
I will probably not get an engineering degree until I retire 'from the tools', but I wouldn't mind working for one.
With experience in the final product, I feel I would be an asset.
Schematics and trouble shooting are where I am at my best.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: WHAT ELESE WOULD YOU DO - 10/29/03 01:35 AM
I think if I had it to do over I would've gone pre-med in college instead of business and become a surgeon.

I plan on getting a private pilots license for pleasure, I'm going to start that sometime soon, but I don't want to fly for a living, just fun.
Posted By: txsparky Re: WHAT ELESE WOULD YOU DO - 10/29/03 02:16 AM
If I were single, a hunting guide would be a pretty awesome job. But I am not and cherish my time with my wife and kids.so I just put in an application for an electrical inspector for Harris County.I live and breathe electricity [Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: WHAT ELESE WOULD YOU DO - 10/29/03 03:14 AM
If I could do it...wait!..I AM doing it all over again. I used to be a meatcutter. The pay & bennies were good but I hated it. I was always a mechanical type anyway. I love this work. It reminds me of the guy at graduation who said "Pick a career you enjoy and you'll never work a day in your life" It just took me 20 years to find it!
I toyed with the Benz mechanic idea also but its not easy to get in. I agree those guys have it MADE. And if anyone has worked on a Benz you know they are a real pleasure.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: WHAT ELESE WOULD YOU DO - 10/29/03 03:55 AM
Becoming an inspector was the best move I ever made in my life. On a scale of 1-10 I give my bad days an 8.5 and my average days 9. Can't ask for more than that. Also, two retirements when I'm 44 years old will be nice too!
Posted By: crash Re: WHAT ELESE WOULD YOU DO - 10/29/03 06:11 AM
When Hugh Heffner retires, I want his job!
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: WHAT ELESE WOULD YOU DO - 10/29/03 01:52 PM
Landscape designer or consultant to organize and brainstorm for new projects.... ahh, dirt of my own and other people's problems to solve... [Linked Image]
Posted By: kyme Re: WHAT ELESE WOULD YOU DO - 10/29/03 02:17 PM
i think being a bouncer at a strip club
would be a nice change
Posted By: GETELECTRIC Re: WHAT ELESE WOULD YOU DO - 10/29/03 03:09 PM
MAN YOU GUYS HAVE MADE IT,HARD TO GO BACK TO MY DRAWINGS,YAH...YAAH HUGH HAS TO RETIRE AT SOME POINT...DOH IKNOW MY WIFE WILL SQUASH THAT DREAM.
Posted By: pauluk Re: WHAT ELESE WOULD YOU DO - 10/29/03 10:31 PM
I think I'd pretty much do what I do now, except I'm finding that I have less enthusiasm for crawling through dirty attics full of fiberglass insulation.

As regulars will know, that's only part of my work anyway, so as time goes on I'll probably cut right back on that side of things to spend more time on my other electronics work.

I'm a great fan of old records, old movies, and old TV shows, so some sort of job in film, record, and tape archives would certainly be something I'd be very interested in doing.

I'm working on my time machine out back right now..... [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums