ECN Forum
Posted By: gunther Way off the wall - 10/23/03 12:23 AM
Anybody have any unique ideas for the use of conduit? I've seen wire pulling racks, planning tables, wind chimes and a few other uses for pipe; sometimes its even used to pull wire thru. Have you ever blown thru the end of a piece of half inch to make it bellow like a horn? I knew a trumpet player that could play dixie on one.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Way off the wall - 10/23/03 12:26 AM
I hit my ABS hockey net with a slap shot and broke it. Ever since then I have used my EMT hockey net!!!

Also, EMT and a yellow wire nut with the wings cut off makes a very good blow gun!

[This message has been edited by Ryan_J (edited 10-22-2003).]
Posted By: Roger Re: Way off the wall - 10/23/03 01:11 AM
Curtain rods, exhaust pipe on 64 chevy pick up, outfeed rollers on a table saw.

Roger
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Way off the wall - 10/23/03 01:40 AM
Oh yeah, the emt and yellow wire nut blow gun. Oh the glory days of high school! While working in one of Harvard University's fine art museums some of our emt scraps (bending mistakes) were fished out of the dumpster. We were told that they would make great art. Never did see a finished masterpeice.
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Way off the wall - 10/23/03 02:02 AM
How about creative vehicle attachments?

I once used 3/4" EMT, couplings, and T condulets to construct a frame for a float in a local parade. Basically, a box frame built around a minivan to hold cloth coverings with signs/banners on it. Hung off the luggage rack with kindorf and conduit hangers! I have a picture of it filed away somewhere (pre-digital) will have to dig it out...

Once used 1/2 inch EMT as tentpoles for rigging up a tarp off the back of the same van at a tailgate party (Grateful Dead tour in pouring rain! [Linked Image]). Attached the tarp to the EMT by dropping bent scraps of allthread through the grommets into the open end of the pipe. The site of us barbequing and partying in the pouring rain attracted quite a crowd looking for a dry place!

Still miss ya, Jerry!
Posted By: classicsat Re: Way off the wall - 10/23/03 03:01 AM
I have used PVC for the form for a VLF (loran C) antenna.
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Way off the wall - 10/23/03 03:06 AM
I've used EMT as the bazooka for late dusk bottle rocket fights.

Another time, EMT made a great cross bar to hang cooking pots from over an open fire. #4 solid was fashioned into the hooks. When broken down for transport, the same conduit stored the straightened coat hangers (sanded) used for marshmallows.
Posted By: Big Jim Re: Way off the wall - 10/23/03 04:27 AM
I have a friend who used EMT to build the frame for a pickup topper. He was able to make very graceful rounded corners. No fittings though. He braised it all together.
Posted By: Edward Re: Way off the wall - 10/23/03 04:48 AM
I have used a 2" emt to build a ladder rack on top of utility service body cutaway van.Just three straight 5' section across the top 36" apart from each other. came out great.

Edward
Posted By: iwire Re: Way off the wall - 10/23/03 08:51 AM
With some creative bending, temp light stands, and a replacement handle for a lawn mower.

One of the guys has 2" on his pickup exhaust.

The blow gun is much more fun with a compressed air source. [Linked Image] (DUCK!!!) [Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Way off the wall - 10/23/03 12:24 PM
A 2" potato cannon.
With the proper propellant and ignition system, range was about 250 yds...S
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Way off the wall - 10/23/03 01:27 PM
After you construct said potato cannon, be sure to visit http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Rapids/1489/
Posted By: mamills Re: Way off the wall - 10/23/03 01:34 PM
You guys obviously like to have more fun with your EMT than I do [Linked Image]. Personally, I use it for building speaker stands and lighting stands.

The potato cannon sounds cool... [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Way off the wall - 10/23/03 01:40 PM
Potato cannons (aka spud guns) are great!!!

Mine is 4"PVC necked down to 1 1/2" for the barrell. I'm not sureexactly how much range I get, but if you shoot it straight up you lose sight of it!!!
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: Way off the wall - 10/23/03 04:36 PM
I've used pvc to construct a frame for my indeterminate cherry tomato plants that grew beyond 8' tall. I used 3 pipes vertically with several cross-members and gave them something to grow through and extra support by wiring chicken wire to it. I pound rebar down into the ground to add some stability for the vertical supports and slide them over the rebar.

I also use 3' sections of pvc drilled with 3/8" holes 8" from one end and capped at that end to plant down in the ground near the roots of my tomato plants (done at the same time as I'm planting the plants) so I can water the roots fully and get more produce out of them.

I just bought a roller to do some of that fancy-schmancy decorative painting - rolled rag was the design name/technique. I thought the pre-fab roller would make it go faster than wadding up fabric and rolling it across the wet paint and boy was it! When I cleaned the roller I found that it was a roller-length chunk of 2" pvc covered with a tube sewn from a 12"x10" piece of t-shirt material that was kind of wadded and twisted around the pvc and held in place with roller end caps inserted to keep the fabric in place. See http://doityourself.com/store/1786128x3.htm for similar item. Very clever and durable compared to the cardboard tubes used in some paint rollers.
Posted By: straightedge Re: Way off the wall - 10/23/03 09:13 PM
My buddy used some scrap sprinkler pipe and welded himself a sand rail. He used 3/4" emt for the cross bars.

[Linked Image from straightedgeelectric.com]

He also built his kids a peddle bicycle rail out of 1/2" emt.

Tev
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Way off the wall - 10/24/03 05:02 AM
if you shoot it straight up you lose sight of it!!!

[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]
Dude, where's my asprin?
Posted By: kale Re: Way off the wall - 10/24/03 06:55 PM
There is a local lumberyard that sells EMT as part of a playground set for kids. It's used as a fireman's pole.

Also, used to know of a company that made portable garages using EMT with special short set screw fittings they bought somewhere on the internet. No bends, elbows or LBs for them.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Way off the wall - 10/24/03 07:16 PM
Know a guy who plays didgeridoo on all kinds of pipes. 8' piece of 1 1/2" pipe sounded real great, something like a small propeller plane. Vacuum cleaner hose looked pretty weird.
Posted By: Pinemarten Re: Way off the wall - 10/25/03 12:22 AM
I work at a PVC pipe factory; water/sewer, electrical, well casing, etc.
I have heard some incredible things.
We have one 'line' that turns 1 1/2" - 2" duct out for a company that makes furniture. We just don't put a bell and writing on it.

The guy that fixes our cranes took a piece of 48" x 20' 'scrap' water pipe. 150psi, 3/4" wall, $2500USD (if it was 'good pipe').
He made a swimming pool slide for his kids.

Or value of 'scrap' is $.05/lb. That pipe weighed 2500lb, he took a bunch of money off our bill, and delivered it himself!
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Way off the wall - 10/25/03 12:29 AM
Thinkgood: I think you may enjoy this:
mr potato head
Posted By: DougW Re: Way off the wall - 10/25/03 10:00 PM
My dad made a gate for our garden out of 1/2" bent into a "U" and based in a wooden base.

Have seen plans for a 1/2" EMT hammer dulcimer.

Used some 3/4" EMT as a makeshift clothesrack for a while - it never bent like the expanding chrome ones did... of course I suppose I could have brought the laundry up a little more frequently...NAAH.

Replacement handle for an air compressor.

Once had a "cat tower" that wouldn't lock securely between the ceiling and floor - pulled out the "pipe" and recognized that particular type of galvanization pattern... you guessed it - 1/2" EMT. (Even labeled w/ UL!) Just stuck in a longer piece and everything was fine.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Way off the wall - 10/26/03 12:09 AM
classicsat:
What was your need for a Loran-C antenna?

I see a lot of plans on the net for building antennae from either metal conduit or copper pipe. I've seen copper pipe used as an RF grounding bus bar when smashed flat and mounted on piece of wood.

Ryan_J:
Poor guy never knew what hit him!

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 10-25-2003).]
Posted By: straightedge Re: Way off the wall - 10/26/03 03:07 AM
Here is the peddle bicycle rail that I was talking about in my previous post.

[Linked Image from straightedgeelectric.com]

It's all made of 1/2" emt. Bent and welded together. Just had to buy wheels, sprocket, etc.

Tev
Posted By: mvrandazzo Re: Way off the wall - 10/27/03 04:23 PM
I went camping once with my work truck. One of the other campers lost his tent stakes. I just so hapend to have a few pieces of 1/2" EMT. I cut it up into 2' lenghts and hammered the end over to hold the rope. I was called McGuyver the rest of the trip.

Blessings Mark
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Way off the wall - 10/27/03 08:53 PM
Was just looking on the net, thinking about building a spud gun when i found out they're considered illegal firearms here in Germany and probably Austria too... there are hefty fines on their possesion, let alone use. Something like $300 min.
Posted By: Pinemarten Re: Way off the wall - 10/29/03 02:21 AM
If it is just a fine and no criminal record......
Go for it!
© ECN Electrical Forums