ECN Forum
Posted By: Ryan_J Who needs a spell check? - 09/27/03 05:55 PM
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht rfist and last ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Who needs a spell check? - 09/27/03 07:08 PM
That's exactly right and the spell checker helped me to read the following words:

According to a research at an Elisha university, it doesn't matter in what order the letters in a word are, the only prominent thing is that first and last letter is at the right place. The rest can be a total mess and you can still read it without problem. This is because we do not read every letter by it self but the word as a whole.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 09-27-2003).]
Posted By: iwire Re: Who needs a spell check? - 09/27/03 07:17 PM
I hwtr yru Rehn. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Who needs a spell check? - 09/27/03 07:20 PM
This was sent to me in a Mensa newsletter. I thought it was kinda fun [Linked Image]
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Who needs a spell check? - 09/27/03 11:51 PM
That's true, but speaking of spell checkers, it sure would be nice to have one built into the reply section of this and other BB's.
Posted By: frank Re: Who needs a spell check? - 09/27/03 11:58 PM
Cool I didn't know that. But I still miss the spell checker Bill had here when he first started this site. I have a mild form of dyslexia. Reading isn't a problem but my spelling is horrible. It has In fact affected the amount of posts and replies I respond to. People have a way of judging the illiterate and I generally don’t put myself through the embarrassment anymore. In school I used to score above average on multiple-choice IQ tests but couldn’t write any test with essay questions to save my life.
Posted By: iwire Re: Who needs a spell check? - 09/28/03 12:39 AM
Frank what you say is true about what people think, but that should not slow you down.

There are a few options for spell check.

One is write all your posts in your email program, spell check it, then use the mouse to copy and paste it into the forum.

If I did not spell check all my posts you guys would never be able to read them. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Ron Re: Who needs a spell check? - 09/28/03 12:48 AM
If you use Internet Explorer, try this spell checker. http://www.iespell.com/
It's free. When you finish typing, you right click on the text and choose "check spelling" from the choices.
Works well!
Posted By: Tiffany Sparks Re: Who needs a spell check? - 09/28/03 03:49 AM
Sum words are mist bye spell cheque!

Carol
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Who needs a spell check? - 09/28/03 02:32 PM
Eye'm kunfyozed!
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Who needs a spell check? - 09/28/03 02:46 PM
Hey Ron, thanks for the link to the spell checker. I installed it and it worked great.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Who needs a spell check? - 09/29/03 01:46 AM
A teacher once told my class that the best way to proofread something is to read it starting at the end, word-by-word, backwards.

This way, the brain won't "auto correct" mistakes based on what words are expected.

Of course, that was before we had computerized spell-checkers.
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: Who needs a spell check? - 10/01/03 12:38 AM
That spell check is very cool. I go on some automotive motorhead type boards and some of those guys have atrocious spelling.
Not to lable them as I have been one all my life.
Just an observation.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Who needs a spell check? - 10/01/03 01:33 AM
Don't you mean label? [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums