ECN Forum
I thought the reason for the new GFCI receptacles was to improve safety. I understood that they wouldn't reset if mis-wired and therefore wouldn't allow the outlet to be used. Correct?

The other day a helper had installed a GFI with one outlet on the load side. While hot checking the job it was discovered that the load outlet didn't have power, so we go to the GFI and it test perfect, even resets when tripped. Upon further investigation, we found that the line and load were reversed. So what was the purpose of the new outlets? Looks like it was just a way to get an extra $5 or $6 from us.
Naturally I haven't seen these new GFCIs myself, but I think we established that with power applied to the load side they should not reset and the line side should be dead so that downstream receptacles would not be energized (although the GFCI receps themselves would have power).
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001201.html

Maybe you got a faulty device?
I have already returned 6 of these new GFI'S and I think they stink! Two of these have blown up upon energizing,sparks flames and smoke! We are getting ripped off! And they did not fix that moisture problem either!
Just returned 15 of those pieces of junk back to the supply house yesterday. None of them worked after two days in a temporary panel on a job site.
Looks like another "GREAT IDEA" rip off courtesy of our Consumer Products Safety comission's dreams and manufacturers B/S claims.
Fourtunatly I can still find working old style GFCI's. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums