ECN Forum
please take the time to look at the post in ocupational saftey thread labeled

long time no see all, heres a one from work tuesday night.

and give your opinon as and electrician or factory maintenance man.

heres a link if it works.
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum16/HTML/000059.html

[This message has been edited by jlhmaint (edited 09-10-2003).]
If that happened in our plant, somebody would call the safety officer and OSHA. There would be an investigation and the supervisor would likely recieve formal disipline. If it looks like its being covered up, file with OSHA about the unsafe working conditions you were exposed to. I'm sure they would love to hear about management pulling a stunt like that.
J, I would say that something needs to be definitely done about it. But bro you will also need to cover yourself well and brace for the BS that will undoubtedly be coming. Just MHO but it seems that we, the workers, are about to be set back 70 yrs in terms of safety and working conditions due to the influence of all the stuff being made off-shore. Good luck and keep us posted. Boss or not this guy is a loose cannon and dangerous.
Our top boss tells a story that has bearing on this one (I'll try to condense). In 1968 Vietnam, he co-piloted his first 'copter in country. The pilot, a seasoned veteran, said "If we take this load, come back and get the 2nd, we'll be last into base camp and the beer will be warm. Let's load up both piles, take it in one trip & be first at the cold beer." My boss had a real bad feeling about it, but figured the pilot knew what he was doing. (The pilot said by the time they get to the Landing Zone (LZ), their fuel used would lighten their load for a safe landing. After several bouncing tries, they finally got off ground, but had to land prematurely and crashed. When my boss learned that he had been suspended w/o pay as well as the pilot, his superior told him, "Yes, you were not senior, but you knew it was the wrong thing to do and didn't act to stop it. Therefore, you are just as responsible for the outcome." My boss said it was a lesson in accountability that he'll never forget.

Hopefully, you will not have to suffer for someone else's disregard for safety, but let's suppose your supervisor or someone else died.... I've worked in plant maintenance in my past life and I know the upper management isn't always supportive of "justified insubordination", but I hope and pray it's different now.
I understand what your saying. I brought that up to the guys last night. I said you know we should have just told him on the spot that if he did it he was getting wrote up and that we were leaving the area.

There were alot of people up there so they will have to write us all up then if thats the what they want to do. But if thats the case he better get twice what we get because he's the one who was altametly responsible and unsafe.
© ECN Electrical Forums