ECN Forum
Posted By: dana_tech multi-talented? - 09/09/03 09:38 PM
any of you folks required to be knowledgeable with plc's and different programming protocols for process controls, motor controls, etc.? dont you wish that the "powers-that-be" would decide on one particular brand name for your plant, and quit buying all the "off-the-wall" stuff, then expect you to know all there is to know about setting it up, programming it, and maintaining it? sorry, just a little frustrated at the bean-counters. we have just about all the different u.s. brands, along with most of the japanese brands, and a good portion of the european stuff. sure makes my job interesting, lol! not to mention all the various interface cables that you need for the different hardware. [Linked Image]
and they expect me to change light bulbs, too! [Linked Image]
Posted By: frank Re: multi-talented? - 09/09/03 11:09 PM
Yes the last place i worked they did that but finally gave up and let us specify the make of drives soft starts plc's ect.In a breakdown situation it's nice have one type of control in the plant.Even if the part is not in stock or wholesaler has to order it you have the option of cannablizing a part from a machine thats already down for repair and getting the machine that running production on the line up and running.Everyone knows how to do the job and you don't have to count on one or two guys to save the day.Pissing around with fitting in a basterd part is not accepable A 1/2 hour down time at Fords can cost more than $350000.Machine builders must use specified parts for this reason or cusomer will supply the stock and not accept otherwise.Simple math i guess?

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 09-09-2003).]
Posted By: MinElectrcn Re: multi-talented? - 09/10/03 12:22 AM
They just think they are saving a buck or two but it is always our bill that shows them the truth. The plant I work in is now mostly made up of Allen Bradly, Benshaw and very few odd-balls are left. It seems they dont care for the "you bought the crap" speech they always get with the others.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: multi-talented? - 09/10/03 12:57 AM
Indeed, perennially braindead procurement folks in some larger operations are mostly oblivious to the effects of their favorite ‘thin-spec/low-bid’ mentality. They are generally clueless about the impact and true costs of such idiotic "policies." Their blind reliance to how good they look on weekly/daily performance reports too often makes them as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: multi-talented? - 09/10/03 02:00 AM
Speaking of PLCs, FYI:
http://www.plcs.net/contents.shtml
Posted By: Big Jim Re: multi-talented? - 09/10/03 02:17 AM
Our plant had a major upgrade a few years ago and we're all one brand now but that's the 4th different one in the last 6 or 8 years. Never a dull monent when you have to learn new programming every year.
Posted By: spkjpr Re: multi-talented? - 09/10/03 02:41 AM
We use mostly A/B but it runs from the PLC2 up to the Micrologix. They are all a little different but enough similiar to pick up the programming easily. Then the EPS (styrafoam) dept boss specs out some weird GE unit we have no programmer for!
© ECN Electrical Forums