ECN Forum
I'm upgrading a house from 60A to 200A. The old service connected via weatherhead to the side of the garage but the main panel is in the basement behind the house. This garage was finished into a living room years ago and there is no way through it.

Can I leave the service mast where it is and use a LB to go around the back of the house? I've tried to find something saying the the mast must be a straight run into the meter box but I haven't come up with nothing. If I can figure out how to post a drawing I will.
This is doable.
As long as the mast has adequate support and the run will be visible I can't think of any objections.

I have had similar jobs where the Meter stayed where it is but the point of attachment had to move 40 feet away because customer had installed a pool under the overhead service conductors.

Bill
Are you referring to an actual mast(a portion above roof level, with the service drop attached to it), or just a service raceway?
If there is projection above the roof, your local utility company may have certain requirements that need to be met, in addition to NEC 230.28.
Beyond those requirements, I believe you could add whatever fittings you need (properly bonded, of course) in order to get where you have to go.
No it's not above the roof. I would LB about 2' below the bottom of the roof.
Dug,

Redsy brings up an important point. It's always best to check with them or your AHJ to be sure of these things.

If the point of attachment is connected to the mast your local utility may have specificications for support that must be met. If the point of attachment is screwed into the house you should be fine. (IMO)

[Linked Image]
Bill
Doug,

This wouldn't be considered a mast. Therefore, you needn't worry about approved support fittings or conduit size, other than normal NEC requirements.
As Bill points out, as long as the service drop is attached to the structure and not the pipe, this should be treated the same as any conduit run, with the addition of proper bonding for service raceways, per NEC 250.92

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 09-08-2003).]
Sorry to mislead by calling it a mast.

The service drop connects to the side of the building and the rest is a normal conduit run.

Thanks alot, very helpful. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums