ECN Forum
Posted By: rowdyrudy Funny but True - 09/02/03 02:44 PM
Near 100% of court challenges are in local courts and are arbitrated or decisions are not appealed. That makes it difficult to get transcripts. Some of the items that I am sent are absolutely hilarious. This is a bit of one sent to me by a court intern.
I will paraphrase parts of a discourse between a judge (Alabama) and an AHJ during a hearing several years ago. The case was a challenge by an EC from Nashville, TN to rulings by the AHJ.
AHJ: The code adopted by the county requires a certain standard of installation in the county.
Judge: This code that you refer to was written by county employees?
AHJ: No sir. It was written by a group that is sponsored by insurance companies and adopted by the county.
Judge: Is this insurance company group located in Montgomery?
AHJ: I believe that it is located in Boston, MA.
Judge: Please explain to the court how a group in Boston has unique knowledge of the requirements of _____________ county? (County deleted to protect intern.)
AHJ: They work up a set of standards and it is adopted nearly everywhere in the country.
Judge: Mr. _____, are you telling the court that the requirements for New York City and ___________________ county are the same?
AHJ: The insurance group believes that is true.
Judge: Did any members of this group contact our county officials?
AHJ: I don’t believe so your honor.
Just typical!
Rowdy
Posted By: pauluk Re: Funny but True - 09/02/03 07:35 PM
Are you sure electrical principles are the same as in New York? Those Alabama electrons are real Southern rebels you know! [Linked Image]

It doesn't surprise me one bit that a "learned" judge doesn't seem to have a clue as to things he's supposed to be ruling on. [Linked Image]
Posted By: LK Re: Funny but True - 09/02/03 09:59 PM
Now that is the Judge I want; if there is a need to appeal.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Funny but True - 09/03/03 01:00 AM
Rowdy,

Thanks for that,
You bring up some good topics!

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Funny but True - 09/03/03 01:36 AM
[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]
Did you say "yoots?"

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 09-02-2003).]
Posted By: iwire Re: Funny but True - 09/03/03 01:46 AM
Ya two yoots two yoots!!

Henoch, you are a funny guy.

Bob
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Funny but True - 09/03/03 01:10 PM
Thankyuhverymuch!
Posted By: pauluk Re: Funny but True - 09/03/03 04:07 PM
Did you say "yoots?"

Ya two yoots two yoots!!
Well that's me completely confused.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Funny but True - 09/03/03 05:14 PM
Paul, watch the movie "My cousin Vinnie" [Linked Image]
Posted By: DougW Re: Funny but True - 09/03/03 06:01 PM
Of course, when your population came from down south long ago, it's not much different...Had an alderman tell one of our guys that "OSHA is federal...their power doesn't apply here, because we're a home rule community..."
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Funny but True - 09/03/03 07:17 PM
Paul,

For those of you who are not familiar with the term "Yoots," I highly recommend that you go out and rent "My Cousin Vinny," starring Joe Pesci. It's not a great movie, but it goes something like this...

Two young adults go on a road trip and get accused of a crime, thus finding themselves in a southern jail.
They need a lawyer, and one of them calls upon his cousin, aptly named "Vinny," to help them out of their legal bind.
During the trial, Joe Pesci refers to the two young adults as "yoots," obviously trying to say "youths," but that somehow got mangled with his New York accent (or is it Jersey?).
(from http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/1609 )
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Funny but True - 09/03/03 07:18 PM
Henoch, you are a funny guy.

Bob, I almost missed that one.

Whadaya mean, I'm funny? Do I amuse you?!
Posted By: iwire Re: Funny but True - 09/03/03 09:15 PM
Do I look funny? Whats so &*#*% funny about me?

Take care Thinkgood!
Posted By: pauluk Re: Funny but True - 09/03/03 09:17 PM
Ah thanks. I get it now that I'm reading the caption wid de roight accent. [Linked Image]

Had an alderman tell one of our guys that "OSHA is federal...their power doesn't apply here, because we're a home rule community..."

Well, if you don't like the AHJ's decision you can always secede from the State and the Union. It's been done before!

http://www.wps.com.au/hutriver/history.htm

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 09-03-2003).]
© ECN Electrical Forums